new character playbook: quarantine

• 66 Replies

lumpley

new character playbook: quarantine
« on: October 17, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
I'm finishing up a new character playbook! It's called quarantine. You're a person - a soldier - held in stasis since the world ended. I'll be publishing it in the next couple of days to support Shock: Human Contact, which is a game I'm playing and enjoying and I believe in.

More info to come!

Re: new character playbook: quarantine
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »
Sweet!  I was thinking a Morrow Project crossover would be fun.

So...how do we get this?

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:38:30 PM »
I wanna know about this one too, so I can pick it when the time comes to get a second character. :)

lumpley

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
It's here: Kickstart Shock:Human Contact!

Everyone who has already backed the Human Contact Kickstart should get the PDF tomorrow, we're proofing it tonight. If you haven't backed the Human Contact Kickstart, please do! It's a great game and J has big plans for it, plus of course that's how you get a copy of the quarantine.

Here's the flavor text:

introducing
QUARANTINE

It's possible, when the Golden Age of Legend fell, that no one saw it coming. It's possible that it came upon them unprepared and unsuspecting. Maybe they, like we, were simply fucked.

It's also possible that they knew.

What else should I spill for a preview? Any requests?

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:01:04 PM »
Favorite new move? Favorite new Hx relationship? I'd be interested in either. I think the moves are a good way to figure out what each playbook does, so I'd be interested in seeing some of the examples of the Quarantine's moves. Otherwise, I might be interested in knowing what the Quarantine's +2 stat is, or if it's not +2, which stat the Quarantine is supposed to be best at. I'm guessing Hard right now, based purely on the fact that he's a soldier, but that's really no more likely than anything else. (Although I guess this whole thing could entirely screw with my head, and the Quarantine isn't awesome at any one thing, but pretty good at everything.)

O'course, what I want might not matter, as I donated to the project already, so really I'm just rubbing my grubby little hands together, hoping for any crumbs that might fall from the table before the real dish gets put in front of me tomorrow.

Regardless, this is awesome, and thanks very much!

lumpley

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:18:27 PM »
Sure!

As quarantine your +2 stat is cool, and you have access to a +1cool (max cool+3) move, which is otherwise currently absent from the game. It's called combat veteran. You also get military body armor (3-armor valuable hi-tech)! You're quite unlike a gunlugger, in that all of your combat moves are about discipline and teamwork. For instance:

Disciplined engagement: when you inflict harm, you can choose to inflict any amount of harm you like, less than or up to your harm as established, including s-harm. Decide at the moment you inflict the harm; you need not tell anyone in advance how much harm you intend to inflict.

The stasis you've been in for 50 years has kept you isolated from the world's psychic maelstrom, so during character creation you make a move, roll+hard, to find out what your weird is. So that's pretty interesting.

You create your stasis like a driver's car or a savvyhead's workspace or whatever. It has several cool facilities, and it still has other people in it.

lumpley

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
A bit more. Being a soldier means that you're prepared in some ways for the Apocalypse World, but also that you're doubly dependent on other people. You need people, you're most effective working with others in a common cause, but you're a serious outsider.

The stuff about the past - the people still in stasis, your returning memories about what happened - are good too. Nice and melancholy, with some potentially world-changing hooks.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:43:41 PM by lumpley »

Bret

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
I am excited about getting my mitts on this thing.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
I had missed the kickstarter thing for Human Contact, so this is doubly cool.

Judd

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »
I had missed the kickstarter thing for Human Contact, so this is doubly cool.

Same exact situation for me.

This was a nice reminder.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
I'm backing Human Contact because I like Shock but wasn't quite willing to re-ante for 1.1 and 1.2 after buying 1.0.

I'm curious about the Quarantine playbook though; I've found the Gunlugger's 2-Armor a little problematic in the two campaigns I've seen him, so I'm a bit agog at the concept of a 3-armor character.

I'm sure it's all fine...

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »
Is this at all like being a Vault Dweller from the Fallout series?

Seth
Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

lumpley

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:38:27 AM »
Nemomeme: Actually oops! My mistake. Military body armor is still worth 2-armor, not 3.

Greatwolf: I don't know! Quarantine is a person emerging from suspended animation, is that what a vault dweller does?

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
You...you haven't played Fallout?

*boggles*

In the original Fallout, you play a Vault Dweller. When The War happened, your parents entered one of the Vaults that were supposed to serve as a shelter. Then, the doors were locked.

Time passed.

All you have ever known is life in the Vault. But now the water purification system is dying, so you must venture to the surface to locate a replacement chip. Your experience of the outside world is nil.

Here's the intro for the game, which includes the setup for the game. It'll be worth your 3 minutes.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 12:45:16 PM »
I like this a lot! Of course I grew up playing The Morrow Project, so I would. In that universe not every frozen soldier was a representative of secular peace, reconstruction and democracy...