Epic Levels

• 2 Replies
Epic Levels
« on: October 25, 2012, 06:41:47 PM »
I'm just curious here, since I seriously doubt I'll ever actually go past level 10.  With the rules in their current state, though, what level you are doesn't seem to make a huge difference.  Monsters don't have levels, your HP doesn't increase when you level up (unless you add Constitution, in which case it goes up by one), and your stats are capped at 18.  Given that, how much of a difference would it make if you went ahead and leveled up past 10?  You should still have some advanced moves left over to take, and you can keep on getting new stat points until somewhere around level 30.  You won't be getting any new spells, but you will be able to prepare more of them.  This'll break down eventually, but I'm pretty sure you could go to around level 13 or 14 without having to change anything.

Thoughts?

Re: Epic Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
Totally a thing.  Generally, the "Level 10" is more a mark to say "look how far we've come!  what a good time we've had!  do you guys and gals want to play something new?" than a mechanical hard-stop.

sage

Re: Epic Levels
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
The main reason for stopping at 10 is that having more than 9 moves to keep track of can become a real pain. We already address that somewhat, with some moves being simple to remember, plus mechanics like replaces, but practically having too many moves can be a problem.

If your group can keep track of more moves: go for it.

Otherwise there's room for all kinds of other advancement past 10th level. Adam and I have brainstormed some ideas along those lines, but haven't put anything into playtesting.