Lay on Hands

• 8 Replies

Rino

Lay on Hands
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
Hi everybody, I need some clarifications about Paladin's moves.

First of all: if a Paladin fails his Lay on Hands, can he just retry a second later?
And what if he is an Hospitalier? Does he takes 1d8 additional damage as well? What if he heals and rolls 7-9 ?

Thanks

Re: Lay on Hands
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
Lay on Hands is a move like any other, and that means, like any other move, that on a miss the GM has a Golden Opportunity and can make a move as hard as he likes that follows the fiction.

What this move could be varies upon the details on how actually works the paladin's healing in your world, the situation at hand, and so on. On a missed lay on hands roll, I happened to turn against him his own move to deal damage, saying that the healing was extremely taxing and the paladin not only just transferred the damage to himself, but also took extra damage in the process. Another time I just said that he could not cure anyone else until he would have succeded in his current quest, consuming their resources, because he cured a not-so-good character.

If you feel unsure, just ask the player. "What usually happens when you lay your hands on but you mess things up badly?"
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Rino

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
WOW.
Consuming resources is really a HARD move!

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
That's what the paladin said.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Rino

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
Wow.

So, what about this custom Rote I wrote for the paladin taking Divine Favor:

You don't get Cleric's rote.
Instead you get "Paladin's Sigil".
You can lay your own symbol on any solid surface, touching that surface and concentrating for a second.
Your symbol can glow with a pale light, you can consacrate food and water with that, and if you apply that on a dead body no ghost or zombie will rise from that body.
Applied to an undead, you will force the undead to reveal itself (maybe a zombie could be non clearly an undead, or a ghost could manifest itself as a proper human being).
Anyone praying your god near one of your symbols can make them glow (usefull for instance to mark a secret path in a forest or dungeon).

noofy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
Its too much Rino. All that lovely setting stuff you have added to the rote is just colour that could be any number of things... Let each group work out the appearance / intent for themselves. Its all part of the fun of provocative questioning and building on the answers.

You don't get Cleric's rote.
Instead you get "Paladin's Sigil".
When you lay your symbol on any surface, and concentrate for a minute or so: you can consecrate (and all that entails) in the name of your God and mark it with your sigil.

Anyone praying  to your god for guidance near one of your sigils will reveal them.

Rino

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
you are 100% right.
I'm just afraid, you know, because too many times the answers I get about powers and colour are "yeah, so do I get any +1 from this power or what?"

noofy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:09:27 AM »
Sure! But just ask lots of questions...
'Yup, you get +1, but first you have to tell me what it looks like when you set your sigil Persimmon. How do you perform the rote? Can anyone else see your sigils? Here, draw them on this paper for us all to see'

The players get the +1 (or bonus damage or tag effect or move power or whatever) only after they have narrated it into the story. In DW the 'fluff' that you generate at the table is important, because its the only way you can justify the mechanical constraints.

To do it, do it, yeah? I like your rote by the way, its awesome! :)

Rino

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 04:04:26 AM »
So you are sayin that I should give +1s whenever I want (I don't like this) or that generally speaking every power needs some description in game?

Yeah, I wrote the Paladin's Sigil because I hate the "just take this HUGE power from this class" feature.

I'm also writing 2 new Ranger powers.
One is called "Broken Bran" (huge Game of Thrones fan) and allows you to... eh, what the heck, I'm writing it down.

Broken Bran
Whenever you focus on your pet, close your eyes and calmly breathe, you can meld your vision, taste, smell and hearing with your animal companion.
In this state you feel what it feels. If your animal companion finds a prey or some food, you can avoid spending a ration when required. Just ignore it.

The second power is an advanced one, and allows you and your animal companion to be unstoppable (via restriction with traps, ropes, nets, charm, sleep, hold person and whatnot) , swap instantly place with your animal companion and even meld into a single and brutal hybrid form, merging your spirit and body.

It's basically a Wis roll (Cos seems unfair) with some holds (3 on 10, 1 on 7-9).
Spend 2 to transform, 1 for neat tricks.

Is any of the authors interested in this silly silly stuff?
What are their nicknames? Can I have their emails?

Thanks a lot in any case.
-Andrew, from Janus Design