What is the Druid?

• 11 Replies
What is the Druid?
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:57:38 AM »
I'm having difficulty explaining to a Player in my group, what "role" the Druid is likely to take in a party, we seem to be very much opposed in our views. Can you guys explain what functions your Druid takes on in the party.

Re: What is the Druid?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:35 AM »
Since when in DW every class has a specific role and fuction? O_o
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »
The druid takes the role of person who surprises the GM by unexpectedly saying. "I turn into a vole" and leaves the GM thinking "What the hell are the moves for a vole? Is a vole even an animal, or is this a joke?"

I'm sort of kidding. But the druid is the one who keeps the surprises and the magical feel coming with that near-constant shapeshifting.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
in my current game, the druid is an eco-terrorist crabby lady who provides funny bickerings with the other characters and acts as the brutish and powerful hero who doesn't give shit about these civilized weaklings (although she always manages to save a friend in need).

last time, the druid was a nonviolent giant viking pacifist and his main role was to constantly tie the group together against the common enemies and be the party's face for npcs.

I forgot to mention that by coincidence they are both a druid from the artict circle who shifts in polar bears and winter wolves.

In my current game, the magical feeling usually comes from the wizard (strange, isn't it?). From time to time, the more "magical feeling" characters have been the fighter (signature weapon that acts as a key to planar-gates and other pretty things), the paladin (because we all love jedi knights) and the cleric.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
Since when in DW every class has a specific role and fuction? O_o
It isn't, in there in lies half the problem. I didn't want to give any leading statements, but phase it in a way that it's being asked of me...

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »
"the lateral thinker" and "the one who talks to animals", with a dash of "the one who makes it difficult being in Towns, given their antlers cause an issue with door frames".

noofy

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:49:34 PM »
Huh. For me the Druid is the one who must...
Chose a Tell —a physical attribute that marks you as Born of the Soil - that reflects the spirit of your Land. It may be an animal feature like antlers or leopard’s spots or something more general, hair like leaves or eyes of glittering crystal. Your Tell remains no matter what shape you take.

So freaking awesome.

Scrape

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
Storygaming stuff aside, there ARE party "roles" in a dungeoncrawler. The Fighter, Thief, Cleric, and Wizard are obvious examples- they have particular strengths along with areas in which they're lacking. Together they complement each others' abilities. The Druid, to me, is like the Bard: she's less about filling a "role" and more about bringing a certain style to the game.

If you've got a Druid in the mix, you know you'll be seeing a lot of man vs nature conflict, for example. I would tell your player not to worry about their "role" too much. Combat doesn't work that way in DW, it's not about having a laundry list of abilities. It's much more versatile.

Instead, tell them to pick the Druid if they're interested in the class's style and what they can bring to the campaign. Play a Druid if you want to see one at the table, you know?

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
The Druid is the ultimate in flexibility.  Need someone to fly ahead and scout?  The Druid can do it.  Need someone to stand steadfast beside you, hide of iron absorbing blows meant for you?  The Druid can do it.  Need someone stealthy and sneaky to hide in wait for an enemy?  The Druid can do it. 

The Druid's role in the party is to challenge stasis, while struggling with it themselves (the Tell vs. Shapeshift).  It's their job to be spiritual advisor in places where the fingertips of god have not yet left their mark.  They bind the party together through bonds of blood and ancient rites.

Stuff of that nature (hah).  Each Druid, of course, will work a little differently.

Scrape

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:27:20 AM »
Yeah, the Druid can be a lot of things, depending on how you play them. I would definitely say "pick a Druid if the class excites you," not because you want to fill a certain role, for sure.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:34:55 PM »
Just answer with "probably not a tank or a healer" as it sounds like that's the answer they're looking for. 

I agree that calling them "DPS" or "controller" or something is... ancillary and inaccurate and not the point of the game, but it is notable that they're not going to be wearing the equivalent of plate or casting healing spells, which people who have played primarily D&D and/or Warcraft might be expecting.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.