Why Apocalypse World Rocks

• 8 Replies

Arvid

Why Apocalypse World Rocks
« on: September 25, 2010, 06:07:30 AM »
I've made a blog.

http://imbuildingsomething.blogspot.com/2010/09/why-apocalypse-world-rocks.html

Tomorrow, or maybe the day after that, I'll post part two, which is a more in-depth analysis of flow in Apocalypse World.

Re: Why Apocalypse World Rocks
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 05:26:49 AM »
Six genders, Arvid! Check your Skinner again...

Arvid

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »
Six genders, Arvid! Check your Skinner again...

Whoa! Sixth gender unlocked! :D

What is the difference between ambigous and androgynous, really? Does it mean true hemaphroditism?

Arvid

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »
Here's part 2.

http://imbuildingsomething.blogspot.com/2010/09/why-apocalypse-world-flows_26.html

I'm really, really curious how your experiences compare to mine. I would love to hear from everyone, especially Vincent.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 04:09:39 PM »
What is the difference between ambigous and androgynous, really? Does it mean true hemaphroditism?
My first reaction is that with an ambiguous character, you're pretty sure that they have a defined gender, you just can't tell. With an androgynous character, the "in-between" state is their only gender, and you can tell that by looking at them. Ambiguity implies doubt to me. But I agree that it's a subtle difference.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
Yeah, pretty much what Jonatan said.

Arvid, your experience with AW seems pretty standard, not odd at all.

Arvid

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 12:20:30 PM »
Yeah, pretty much what Jonatan said.

Arvid, your experience with AW seems pretty standard, not odd at all.

That's cool.

I'm interested in what you think of the model, and how it matches up with your experience - Does it capture the flow of Apocalypse World? Can you say these seven steps are what make great and fluent roleplaying?

Vincent, in design, did you aim for any of the points I make in the flow article?

lumpley

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
Here's what I aimed for: lumpley.com/comment.php?entry=22

I think you'll find some significant overlap, yes!

Arvid

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Here's what I aimed for: lumpley.com/comment.php?entry=22

I think you'll find some significant overlap, yes!

Oh! I see you started out with establishing a sort of security here: Affirmation, permission, robustness. I didn't expect a five year old post, though! Cool!

In my analysis, I'm kind of hinting at the conclusion that Apocalypse World works because of trust between the players. (including MC) It's cool to see you emphasis the same aspect in the design goals as well.

As a psychology student, improv player, and also a human being with my own psychological constructs, I'm hugely interested in, and fascinated by trust and sense of security, and I think this is the new thing that roleplaying theory needs to explore. Or maybe it already has?