Apocalypse World in French...

• 10 Replies
Apocalypse World in French...
« on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:38 AM »
...is go.

The beast of a PDF is now in the hands of the printers and all. I've handled both the translation and the lay out ; it's been six, seven months of work and a hell of a ride.

Oh, and Vincent? Let me join the italian team and from the bottom of my heart, fuck you.

noclue

Re: Apocalypse World in French...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:34:44 PM »
Very cool! It must have been difficult to translate some of the idiosyncratic language in the text.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:05:28 AM »
It was. It was also a great experience. I translated a few technical manuals and telemarketing scripts before (don't judge me), but it was my first, say, litterary translation. It was crazy fun though! I can't wait to hold that damn book in my hands.

(But seriously, the idiosyncrasies were the lesser of my worries. The bakerisms and strange ideas, on the other hand... Did you native speakers get that Tum-tum was a collective consciousness with many bodies in the examples pp. 189-214?)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:17:38 AM by gregpogor »

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:54:32 AM »
More or less, yeah.

Like, "one or the other of Tum Tum" means there's two of them. Their "psychically-linked cultist-bodyguards" are considered separate, so while they might have some kind of collective consciousness, it's certainly not a symmetrical one. And the vultures having the faces of Tum Tum suggests pretty heavily that the two of them look the same, which reinforces the idea that they have one mind, and then isn't there that example of Bran rebooting Marie's brain by using Tum Tum's? Something like that.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
Oh! Where will I be able to get this? I'm also a French translator and would really, really dig seeing the final result.

As for technical translation, well, it's where the job is, no judgement here!

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
Oh! Where will I be able to get this? I'm also a French translator and would really, really dig seeing the final result.

La Boîte à Heuhh's publishing it. You can find more info here : http://www.bah-editions.fr/pages/apocalypse-world-6685272.html

lumpley

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
Congratulations!

-Vincent

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks! Translating it and thus reading it again and again (and again) made me appreciate the game even more. It's a real good, solid piece of design.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 02:51:55 PM »
I have a question:

I tried sending an email for Lumpley asking exactly about that: what are the legality of publishing in other language?

I have a portuguese version of AW, not finished but mostly. I would like to know the details of the license or something.

Could someone help me?

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:06 AM »
I really can't tell, sorry. That was the publisher's job to negociate things like this. I think you might want to get in touch with Narrattiva, the italian publisher who translated AW and Dogs.

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
Gaigaia, you can email me at meguey@earthlink.net, but I can tell you now that there is a translation to Portuguese for Brazil already in the works.