Questions from a Newb

• 8 Replies
Questions from a Newb
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
I assume that if the options two players select for each other are contradictory, you just kind of work it out, right?

Although, I'm actually not seeing a ton of completely contradictory results...but both selections go into making the backstory for the characters, yeah? It's not a "here are the two options, pick one"?

Also, when changing Hunter types...does keeping moves from your old Hunter type limit the number of moves you get from the new? Or is it essentially the "Honor System" in place keeping that from getting abused?

Thanks!

Re: Questions from a Newb
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:23:23 AM »
I assume that if the options two players select for each other are contradictory, you just kind of work it out, right?

Although, I'm actually not seeing a ton of completely contradictory results...but both selections go into making the backstory for the characters, yeah? It's not a "here are the two options, pick one"?

You're talking about history choices here, right? Yes, both apply.

If they seem to contradict each other, I'd ask both players "so how can that work?" and work out what makes sense in discussion (which might include changing the choice.

Also, when changing Hunter types...does keeping moves from your old Hunter type limit the number of moves you get from the new? Or is it essentially the "Honor System" in place keeping that from getting abused?

You need to go through the moves with the player working out which ones stay and go. They might keep all of them, they might keep none - whatever makes sense for the character and why they're changing. Don't worry about balance at all.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:40 AM »
Hi, I am reading through MotW now, and I have a question:

Should the keeper just let players use magic at will for all playbooks? Has anyone tried running low key magic games, or have any suggestions for doing so?  I was thinking about a game where only a few playbooks have access to the full list of choices. 

Thanks,
Joe

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »
Hi, I am reading through MotW now, and I have a question:

Should the keeper just let players use magic at will for all playbooks?

Yes!

Has anyone tried running low key magic games, or have any suggestions for doing so?  I was thinking about a game where only a few playbooks have access to the full list of choices.

I haven't, so I don't have any particular suggestions. I think you'll need something that fills that hole in what you can do. Alternatively, you could re-cast it as weird science (in the way Walter gets strange "science" effects in Fringe).

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  Going to go with your suggestion and just run it as is. :)

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:38:24 AM »
I haven't, so I don't have any particular suggestions. I think you'll need something that fills that hole in what you can do. Alternatively, you could re-cast it as weird science (in the way Walter gets strange "science" effects in Fringe).

One of my players wanted to play a hacker. We let her computer do "magic," defined as her having successfully set up situations, contingencies, and traps a while back: "We need to delay the bad guy's escape. (Rolls. A hit.) It's a good thing DWP closed that road because their computers said there was a gas leak and DWP needed to investigate. Now the baddie has to take another route. Back toward us."

Computers are magic.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »
One of my players wanted to play a hacker. We let her computer do "magic," defined as her having successfully set up situations, contingencies, and traps a while back: "We need to delay the bad guy's escape. (Rolls. A hit.) It's a good thing DWP closed that road because their computers said there was a gas leak and DWP needed to investigate. Now the baddie has to take another route. Back toward us."

Computers are magic.

Cool!

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:04 AM »
Totally awesome indeed. Totally stealing that.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
Should the keeper just let players use magic at will for all playbooks? Has anyone tried running low key magic games, or have any suggestions for doing so?  I was thinking about a game where only a few playbooks have access to the full list of choices.
Easy. As it said in AW, "to do it, you have to do it"(c)
If you're playing Agent as cop who does not know heck about magic, I won't let you use magic just because it's basic move. Because question is: HOW do you do magic without any knowledge? If you can answer that, Bob's your uncle.

Of course just giving it to anyone with similar plot-twisting powers is also a way, yes. But rule applies.