Sons of Supernatural

• 2 Replies
Sons of Supernatural
« on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
So while I was watching the latest episode of Sons of Anarchy this morning, I had an idea for a Monster of the Week game. Basically a cross over between two of my favorite shows, Supernatural and Sons of Anarchy. Basically the PC group could form in one of two ways. Maybe these PCs are actually all Initiates, though their order isn't ancient?

The first that came to me was that the PCs are members of the Nomad charter of the Sons of Anarchy (or some other MC), and they go around the country on their bikes fighting monsters. They have two sets of ties that bind them, both the MC and it's lifestyle as well as protecting normals from the scourges waiting in the shadows.

The second is that the PCs are the members of a local Sons chapter, and their primary mission has been protecting their town from monsters. You could call it Sons of Buffy. Perhaps that was even the reason the MC was founded, a bunch of vets (you pick the war) came back changed from their experiences and no longer fit in with main stream society. While living on the fringes they ran afoul of the supernatural elements also living in the shadows. They found relevance to society by continuing to protect it from the outside.

The real problem I have with either of these ideas is the near total male dominance in MC culture, and half of my current audience of gamers are women. Some would have no problem playing male characters; some would do it, though they would prefer to play females; and at least one would really prefer not to play male characters at all.

Thoughts? Criticisms? I would love to have some feedback!

Re: Sons of Supernatural
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »
Sounds good!

Regarding the character gender issue, I would say that if you are playing a game in a world with monsters and magic, postulating a non-sexist motorcycle gang should not make the game too much less credible (especially if they are veterans of a recent war, with more female combatants).

You might want to look at the Apocalypse World Chopper playbook and create something that is a hybrid of Initiate and Chopper (for the leader of the gang at least). Also, that has rules for bikes :)

Re: Sons of Supernatural
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice again Mike, I will take a look at that Chopper playbook!

I also need to get over my sometimes too slavish adherence to my source material. I ran a very successful game at a local convention in March (which I play tested before hand with friends, and then ran again after the con for some more friends) where the PCs were a group of kids just back from their first tour in Afghanistan. Several of those PCs were women and no one even batted an eyelash over their inclusion. Of course that game could be the basis for another interesting mash up, as it was based on the book "Dies the Fire", by S.M. Stirling, it could be played as a Dungeon Apocalypse World......