Grand Tour overview

• 0 Replies
Grand Tour overview
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »
Hi all,

This actually began as a Game Chef entry, but since I was away from a computer and indeed the internets over the weekend, I wasn't going to get it in anything near ready for submission.

Hacking a game is, for me, a brilliant way of getting under the game's skin, finding out how it works under its hood, so if for nothing else, that's worth doing. That being said, this is a game I'm interested in playing. I might be the only one, but hey...

Grand Tour
An Apocalypse Now hack set in Europe in the 18th century.

Europe in the 18th century. Young aristocrats, mainly men, from Northern Europe embark on their rite of passage across Europe. Their journeys will take them to the greatest cities in the world, educate them in art, history and culture - and the pleasures of the flesh - and in the end make or break them. The practice was introduced by the three super powers at that time - the English, the Prussians and the Danes - but other nationalities soon followed and it became a tradition for the offspring of the European ruling classes. The Grand Tour was not just a recreational and educational trip, it was a matter of showing and maintaining cultural power. "Ruling-class control in the 18th century was located primarily in a cultural hegemony, and only secondarily in an expression of economic or physical (military) power."

In this game most of you will take on the fictional character of a young man or woman going on a Grand Tour of Europe. One of the participants will not play a character, but act as the Travel Advisor and instead take on the responsibilities of describing the environment,  and generally putting the players' characters on the spot, if not it trouble.

Grand Tour is neither intended to be a historical simulation nor particularly historically correct. History is merely used as a colouring palette, as a starting point. If you get excited by Jane Austen novels or adore Brideshead Revisited and like films where men are wearing wigs and huge sleeves, this game is for you. That being said, the game is set pre-steam engine travel methods, so everything is slow, slow, slow. Communication, news and indeed travel.

There isn't any physical violence in Grand Tour, at least not on the player characters' behalf - I hope that's achievable and still interesting to play, without being too much: "Oh, Sebastian, what are you doing?" "Arranging matches." "How exciting!" On the other hand there's an abundance of emotional and psychological violence, unsaid insults and social backstabbing.

Stats
Composed
Resolute
Suave
Civil
Eldritch
Intimacy

Character Epitomes
Poet
Architect
Scientist
French Aristocrat
Artist
Philosopher
Jack-a-dandy

Basic Maneuvres
Act under duress Roll+Composed
Carpe Diem Roll+Resolute
Seduce or Manipulate Roll+Suave
Savoir Faire Roll+Civil
Discern person Roll+Civil
Espy whispers Roll+Eldritch
(no seize by force - no physical violence as such, or at least it happens off screen)

Stat descriptions
Composed is how calm your character is able to be in emotionally or otherwise intense or charged situations. Unruffled, impertubable, phlegmatic. Used for the Act under duress Maneuvre.
Resolute is how determined your character is able to act, physically and emotionally. Indefatigable, brave, steadfast. Used for the Carpe Diem Maneuvre.
Suave is how charming your character is able to be, not only by good looks but also showing wit and knowledge. Agreeable, courteous, refined. Used for the Seduce or Manipulate Maneuvre.
Civil is how educated and clever the character is able to appear. Gentlemanly, well-mannered, diplomatic. Used for the Savoir Faire Maneuvre.
Eldritch is the special ability to keep your ear to the ground, to be aware of what's going on in your circles, without being told directly. Uncanny, weird, unearthly. Used for the Espy whispers Maneuvre.

Barter?
There's no Barter per se in Grand Tour. The player characters are normally wealthy or at least sponsored by filthy rich people. In other words, money is not an issue. It might be a problem being out of cash momentarily, of course, if your character gets lost in an unfamiliar place, gets his letters of reference stolen or whatnot, which can be exciting situations. If such stuff happens, use the basic maneuvres to deal with the trouble - 17th century aristocrats have no concept of bartering or haggling for goods or services, so they'll have to learn fast.

Let me know what you think.