So I decided to convert my 12th-level Pathfinder campaign to DW...

• 16 Replies
Re: So I decided to convert my 12th-level Pathfinder campaign to DW...
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
I find that as far as fairness is concerned, simply asking everyone at one what they are doing and then resolving each of those helps with that. Otherwise, well, that's pretty much a thing when it comes to RPGs. It's a skill, making sure everyone gets their say.

Scrape

Re: So I decided to convert my 12th-level Pathfinder campaign to DW...
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
Glad you found my write-up useful! There will be a cool illustrated PDF version soon and I'll link it here for sure. Should be useful for new players.

Definitely the biggest hurdle is realizing that combat is no different from the rest of the game. Sometimes you zoom way in on a single sword swing and sometimes you resolve a flurry of blows. But it's still all the back-and-forth conversation.

When it comes to someone hogging their "turn," I usually just let them go for a bit and then say something like, "cool, what are the rest of you doing during all this time?" And then make sure the other players get as much action. Or else I wait until a moment that might affect the others and use thar opportunity to move on: "okay, the orc stumbles back from your spell, toward the Wizard. That reminds me, Wizard, what are you doing now...?" Or like, "great, the column comes toppling down. Debris is flying everywhere. Thief, you can see it dropping from across the room. How are you dealing with that ogre you're battling...?"

Basically, find a good segueway and turn to the next player. It gets easier with practice for sure.