Experience on a miss

• 22 Replies
Experience on a miss
« on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
I can't find this in the pre-release, although I found it in the Regiment -- so, marking experience on a miss is usual?  In the level+7 to level up baseline paradigm?

I have been doing just the white wolf style three questions (info/enemy/treasure) + bond resolution + alignment at the end of a session to mark experience.

Re: Experience on a miss
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »
XP on a miss is definitely a thing.  It somehow fell into an editing void in the pre-release but has been re-added!

Scrape

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:50:46 AM »
To be honest, the 3question/alignment-only system is a totally viable alternative if you want a slower leveling pace or a more even party level. Sometimes the xp earned per session varies wildly, and one of my poorly-rolling PCs is two levels ahead of everyone. Xp-on-a-miss has its ups and downs.

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
yeah, it depends on personal tastes really. In our group, we love that there are pcs of different levels, it feels very old school and sort of videogame-y (in a positive way). But we also love very unbalanced parties in general (like, gandalf-aragorn-frodo, or superman-batman-robin), it makes the story more like actual movies and books, and last but not least, characters interaction and bonds are wonderfully fueled by differences like these. In DW, a character with a lot more levels than the others not only is usually the more active one (because he rolled more, resolved more bonds, and always followed his alignment), but is also the character who has seen the worst things coming by, and that counts for something story-wise!

Also, XPs on a miss prevents the "avoid the system" approach, where the players try anything to avoid moves where they have +0 or -1.
- "I do it!"
- "it's a move! Roll+0!"
- "wait wait, you're right, better try something else then"

But obviously, I can totally understand when a player sees himself two levels behind the others and feels like it's "unfair".
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »
This may be obtuse, but so, when you say "it's a thing," does that mean when you roll a 6-, you mark xp?

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »
This may be obtuse, but so, when you say "it's a thing," does that mean when you roll a 6-, you mark xp?

That is correct.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
Cool. That does change some things!

Scrape

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »
We had a great adventure where a PC failed almost every roll and came out nearly dead. It was hilarious and now he's two levels higher than the rest of the party. He's like the scarred up veteran so it works in that way for sure.

Being 2-3 levels higher doesn't mean as much in DW. He's got a few more Moves, sure, but the same Hp and his power level is only slightly higher. Sometimes it's silly but it totally works, it doesn't break the game and they all still adventure together fine with no imbalances.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:44 AM »
I can definitely see how it isn't game-breaking. I'm more interested to see how the rule handles the issues of narrative and flow of play. Like, do you get to say what you learn? Do you mark for every failure, or do you mark for each encounter where you blow a move like Burning Wheel?

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 01:49:35 AM »
you mark XP for every miss.

It's just like apocalypse world where you mark xp for every roll (miss or hit) on your highlighted stats. Here, you mark only on a miss, but on every stat.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:33 PM »
Every game I have ever played we get into this thing where a player makes a roll and blows it right at the last second and we all kind of sigh and laugh and someone says "well, at least you get XP" and we all have a good chuckle.

Doesn't matter if we've played together for ages or it's a brand new group.

I love it.

Scrape

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:07:12 PM »
Every game I have ever played we get into this thing where a player makes a roll and blows it right at the last second and we all kind of sigh and laugh and someone says "well, at least you get XP" and we all have a good chuckle.

Doesn't matter if we've played together for ages or it's a brand new group.

I love it.

Yeah, in last night's session the Fighter hit every roll and was pissed about it, hahaha

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 04:59:26 AM »
you mark XP for every miss.

It's just like apocalypse world where you mark xp for every roll (miss or hit) on your highlighted stats. Here, you mark only on a miss, but on every stat.

Damn to am I right in thinking you don't highlight stats in Dungeon World? I thought you did but couldn't find it in the latest text.  Comes I guess from having read AW, MotW, MH and DW.  Get rules overlap in my brain ;-)

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
XP on a miss is definitely a thing.  It somehow fell into an editing void in the pre-release but has been re-added!

It seems to have fallen back into that void, because there's nothing mentioned about marking XP on a miss in the current text from the latest download.

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
I just downloaded it and I definitely see text in there on marking XP on a miss. Page 17 of the pdf.
-Jeremiah