Acting under fire?

• 6 Replies
Acting under fire?
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:27 AM »
So, as per pages 172-173, using an Angel kit to heal Uncle (hurt to 10:00), you roll+stock spent. On a 7-9, Uncle is stabilised and heals to 06:00. Now, let's assume the MC also decides you're acting under fire, describing how Uncle is delirious and thrashing out.

The problem I can't get my head around is the roll for acting under fire. The PC has already stabilised Uncle, but does acting under fire mean that the PC has to roll again? If so, how do the results of the acting under fire roll relate to the event that's already occurred? Uncle's already been stabilised. Do we retroactively deny that successful heal roll?

John

Re: Acting under fire?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »
I would make them act under fire to use it in the first place. In other words, roll to act under fire - if you succeed, then we can talk about you using the Angel's kit, or the Brainer's pain wave projector.

Edit: I thought you were talking about a non-angel using an angel's kit. You're talking about "• even narcostabbed, they fight you; you’re acting under fire."

I think the main thing you're looking for here is whether the Angel is opening themselves up to danger or cost. They don't have to reroll because they're already stabilized, but maybe they have to use some morphine (1 extra stock) to calm the patient down or maybe the thrashing harms them (inflict 1 harm) or whatever.

That's how I'd do it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:45:26 AM by Michael Pfaff »

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »
Hmm. The problem I have with this is that acting under fire is a specific outcome for a heal roll that is 7-9. In effect, if you made the pc roll for acting under fire prior to the heal roll, the result could be acting under fire. I know I'm being pedantic here, but I am honestly confused by this.
John

Bret

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »
You succeed in healing, but you're acting under fire. If you fail that, the MC makes as hard a move as they like, just like in any other failed roll. In one example of that occurring in a game, I had the mother of the girl the Angel was working on pull a shotgun because clearly since the girl was flailing around and convulsing, he was "killing her" even though she was actually healed.

Missed acting under fire roll => put him in a spot

Do you have an example here of where it caused you trouble? That would help.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »
Hmm. The problem I have with this is that acting under fire is a specific outcome for a heal roll that is 7-9. In effect, if you made the pc roll for acting under fire prior to the heal roll, the result could be acting under fire. I know I'm being pedantic here, but I am honestly confused by this.
John

Yeah, ignore my original sentences. My reply for your question is after the "Edit:".

You only roll before if you're not an Angel using an angel kit.

If you're an Angel, and roll a 7-9 (the MC could even choose this on a 10+), and the MC chooses that they fight you, I'd just have the danger or cost be some harm or extra stock you need to spend.

"You stabilize him, but he's going nuts, thrashing about. You're gonna need to use 1 more stock (some morphine) to knock him out so he doesn't de-stabilize himself."  

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
Cheers guys,
Nope, no example just trying to get my head around things. However, your replies have given me that 'lightbulb over head' moment. It escalates the conflict and gives the MC a cue to hit em hard. In effect it shifts the focus from the patient onto the healer.
Much appreciated.
John

Bret

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
Yeah I think the easiest thing to do is have them fight you and have the angel act under fire. A miss would be "inflict harm as established" and have them do 1-harm from punching and kicking and whatnot.
Tupacalypse World