Perilous journey & recruit tweaks

• 10 Replies
Perilous journey & recruit tweaks
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:10:08 PM »
The game finished 20 minutes ago! Just wanted to share a couple tweaks: we felt that dividing the roles when undertaking a perilous journey was a bit flat because they are all tied to wis. So we rearranged the stats: int for the quartermaster, con for the trailblazer and wis for the scout. It made so much more sense now that the wizard preferred to act as quartermaster while the ranger scouted ahead!

Also, they needed to find a ship that would take them accross the sea in exchange for their services as traveled adventurers. Initially I thought to build a custom move, but then I realized it was just Recruit: the "you are paying well" option was changed in to "you would do a very dangerous job for free", and it worked wonderfully!
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Scrape

Re: Perilous journey & recruit tweaks
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
I kinda like that Perilous Journey tweak; I think I might use that. It also kinda bugged me that all three were tied to one stat. Nice one.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
Thanks! Another thing I forgot: when you travel at sea, the roles are:
Quartermaster -> navigator
Trailblazer -> pilot
Scout -> lookout

Scrape

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 11:45:11 PM »
Thanks! Another thing I forgot: when you travel at sea, the roles are:
Quartermaster -> navigator
Trailblazer -> pilot
Scout -> lookout

Hahaha, nice one!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
I like the int, con, wis hack too

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
I like this as well. In the sessions I ran at GenCon, there was a lot of "okay, everyone with a positive WIS is doing something... Now... which role does our Thief with the -1 WIS do?" I mean, I liked that it made the trip <i>feel</i> dangerous. But if the group had these same problems every time they went somewhere, they would have starved by now...

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
yeah, same reason for us. Indeed, it was even worse: they all have +1 on wis, so when I asked who covered which role, their spontaneous collective answer was: "does it matter"?

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 03:07:39 PM »
they all have +1 on wis, so when I asked who covered which role, their spontaneous collective answer was: "does it matter"?
hmm... remind me, isn't there a chance for GM to make a hard move on player if he fails perilous journey?
so, you know, the hard move DOES depend on which role are you taking - if you're the scout, you have a fairly high chance of stumbling into something really dangerous - and it helps if you have decent amount of HP to survive it, or at least are always-ready Thief with "shoot first"

Scrape

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 03:53:27 PM »
they all have +1 on wis, so when I asked who covered which role, their spontaneous collective answer was: "does it matter"?
hmm... remind me, isn't there a chance for GM to make a hard move on player if he fails perilous journey?
so, you know, the hard move DOES depend on which role are you taking - if you're the scout, you have a fairly high chance of stumbling into something really dangerous - and it helps if you have decent amount of HP to survive it, or at least are always-ready Thief with "shoot first"

Well yeah, the results of the roll matter. But when they're all keyed off Wis, it doesn't matter who rolls. I like switching the stats up.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
I've always seen the hard moves from UaPJ aimed to strike every character in the group as a default (just like hits benefit the whole group). Sure you can go against just one character because the fiction dictates so, but you also can deal damage to the quartermaster for the same reason; or maybe the scout finds something different from a monster and it's no more about HPs; indeed, you don't even need to target the character that rolled a miss, if it makes sense. Maybe if they already knew what dangers await for each role then the decision makes sense, but otherwise, it's just about wild guesses at most. And I tend to improvise a lot on the spot so this could rarely happen :P

Also I feel it "right" that different kinds of risks are linked to different stats.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 05:10:17 PM by (not that) adam »

Scrape

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »
It should affect the whole group, yeah, but in this case he meant "all theplayers had +1 Wis so they felt that the rolls were interchangeable"