New Skin: The Anansi

• 12 Replies

Renee

New Skin: The Anansi
« on: August 29, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »
Hey all,

I'm workshopping this custom skin for my upcoming teenagers-on-spring-break-in-The-Bahamas game and figured y'all might have some feedback. I haven't written much in the way of color text yet, but the theme is the schemer...they might be the class clown, the braggart, the gossiper, or the quiet contemplative one, but there's always an ulterior motive to their behavior. They might get laid low from time to time, but they always get back up.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101511448/Anansi.pdf

Re: New Skin: The Anansi
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
I find it really cool

Shame on me and death can't climb are maybe a little weak at first sight

My personal take on an obsessive behaviour was a mad scientist, wich implied things quite similar to  Hidden agenda.

Renee

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:12:33 PM »
Thanks!

I dunno if they're weak especially or just simplistic when compared to the other moves (I kind of feel like I made all these moves too complicated). I think they'll see more play than some of the others because the fictional context in which they can come into play will be much broader. That may not matter, though, if the players get googly-eyed about the more exotic moves and don't take these ones. Personally, shame on me is my favorite of the moves, mostly because I want to play with the whole "who is most disappointed and why" mechanic.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
From your mc's point of view, but from the player's pov, he only get a +1 for disappointing most people (with consequences in the fiction) and giving a string, which can nullify the +1 gained

I don't find your moves complicated ^^

Renee

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:53:12 AM »
Oh good! Thanks!

You might be right. This'll be my first time with Monsterhearts so I don't have a strong sense of the String economy yet. Maybe there is a need to boost it...I'll brainstorm and see what I come up with.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »
I'll certainly translate your skin in French to propose it to my players

Renee

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:09:26 AM »
That's kind of you. :)

I tweaked it a bit, based upon your suggestions. I subbed in a tried and true move trope for Shame On Me, and upon reflection, I think it makes more sense this way. I bumped the bonus on Death Can't Climb to bring it more in line with other moves that provide specific one-time bonuses. Still thinking about it though.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:54 AM »
Clearly the kind of changes I would have made (but I didn't want to influence you). I know find Shame on me brilliant

Renee

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
The Anansi needed another way to get Strings anyway. It's kinda their thing.

I appreciate the feedback. This is what I was hoping for. :)

(also noticed another mistake: It should be choose two moves + Hidden Agenda, not one. Fixed now though.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 02:41:06 PM by Renee »

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:22:52 AM »

Renee

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
Nice! Although technically not the first time, very cool to see something I did in French. I think you managed more brevity than I did! :)

Also, I need to get back to my French lessons.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:54:55 AM by Renee »

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 07:56:59 AM »
After playing AW, when I fell in love with MH, my choice of "game support" was to include all moves and strings rules on the character sheet, meaning I have to concentrate some information, mostly the "Playing the..." dispatching the information directly in moves, dark side, etc...

Some cards with the same kind of content are presently shared on Story games http://story-games.com/forums/discussion/17119/monsterhearts-cards#Item_41

Renee

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 03:38:11 PM »
I like the idea of having the basic moves and whatnot right on the character sheet, but I haven't quite decided if I'm going to address that within my game or just let it be. My roomie printed out all the Skins dual-sided on heavy card stock to create sort of a "play mat" for each player, and I kind of want to keep the play space in front of each person limited to pretty much that and their dice.