2-Hour Demo/Intro?

• 4 Replies
2-Hour Demo/Intro?
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »
Hi, all-

I've got a weekend gaming party coming up at the store I run, and would really like to show off AW in a way that gets people interested in playing (read: buying!) it.

I personally find all the world-building and character-gen stuff to be a real great hook that makes me want to then go further in the game, but I also am pretty impressed by the effort that clearly went into the quick-play Con scenario.

So, just looking for a consensus, with Vincent's opinion particularly of interest if he wants to chime in. We've got about 2 hours and change... what's the best way to show off the basic concepts and get people wanting to come back for more that doesn't require a huge pile of prep? Particularly interested in the experience of any of you have done something similar (for GoD or a similar Con game, etc).

Thanks!

-Jim C.

lumpley

Re: 2-Hour Demo/Intro?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »
2 hours and change is long enough to play for real. I ran a 2 1/2 hour session at GameStorm just starting with character creation same as always, and it went great.

I recommend "let's play a hardholder and her staff, or an operator and her crew, or a hocus and her followers. Who wants to be the leader-type?" And then just keep things moving.

I wouldn't recommend using Blind Blue and Hatchet City.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
Chopper and her gang, too. I've had good luck with that one.

I start drawing the map while they're picking playbooks and filling them out. Then when we get to Hx, I butt in and ask some questions, too, and flesh out the world a bit more. Try to get to two serious, immediate situations.

"Ok, so Roarke? The guy who runs the Factory, over here -- he wants you to go kill all the wanderers at the crater, to show the other tribes what happens when you don't pay."

"Dremmer says she knows when and where Tum Tum is gonna move his fuel stash and do you want to come along and hit it, like now?"

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
My experience so far is that the pacing has to be really different for a one-shot than for an ongoing game, because in a one-shot you really don't want a lot of dangling ends.  So you need to ask enough questions to generate something interesting, but not so many that there are unsatisfying unresolved situations at the end of the session.  This is exactly the opposite of what you want in a first session for an ongoing game, where unresolved situations at the end of the session are good.

Character creation is fast enough and has a large enough payoff that it's well worth doing it around the table, although you really do want to structure it, maybe working through it with each player in turn -- the first time I tried a live, in-person character creation bit I had five people asking me questions at once, and it was too much context switching -- it probably would have been more efficient if I had gone around the table saying, "Okay, Mark.  Hardholder.  Let's work through everything here.  Okay, Missy.  Operator.  Your turn."  Instead I was answering questions about gigs and surplus and want and fortunes and it was a little bit more of a challenge than I cared for.

I like the idea of insisting on one of the leader-types as a leader for the party to be connected to, but I prefer brainstorming a half-dozen different serious, immediate situations.  If you get a gunlugger and a battlebabe and an angel to go with the chopper, the hit 'em hard missions work.  If you get a skinner, a savvyhead, and a brainer, not so much - something sneaky and covert works better.  But you do want something where there's a clear objective to accomplish - blow the fuel stash, recover the macguffin, kill the evildoers.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
Great advice in general cwilbur, but I especially like the bit on structuring character generation. I could've used that during my own char gen session, as I went through what you describe in helping a bit here, then a bit there, and back to here again... It would've been a whole lot more effective had I helped one player at a time, and the other players would've been more involved as well. Top notch stuff.