the sky chain, 2-handed wpns, blood & guts, blank sheets

• 5 Replies
the sky chain, 2-handed wpns, blood & guts, blank sheets
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
So, last night we started a new game. The new sheets are awesome! I liked the landscape format, but this ones are way more cool and functional!

For the first time I used a dungeon starter, the Sky Chain which I loved since the first time I landed my eyes on it; the players also were fascinated with the whole concept and they started to create informations and legends about the chain even before I asked the key questions. The result is a complex but very cool cosmogony that maybe someday I will post just to annoy you even more.

The main difficulty to me was that the characters' bonds and goals were actually centering around the ground below (there was a lot about politics and religions, the empire annihilated the only one honest religious order that standed its ground against the horde and so on), since they did the bonds before knowing what was the adventure about, but in the end I managed to wrap things up and I think I have enough interesting things to write a front that will make them happy to ascend the chain.

Maybe I'm a little bit late about this, but in the pre-release pdf there are no two-handed swords and axes?! We noticed this when the fighter wanted a two-handed sword, and I said that actually the signature weapon doesn't care about how many hands you must have; however I went on to the updated equipment list and saw this. I believe you made it on purpose, but what purpose does it follow? (is it something about Burning Wheel and its historical accuracy?)

And, is the blood & guts chapter gone?

Last but not least: will you make public a blank .indd file of the new character sheet so I can translate and print them?
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Scrape

Re: the sky chain, 2-handed wpns, blood & guts, blank sheets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
The Blood & Guts chapter is gone, I think they rolled it into the basic rules. I actually liked the separate combat section, it was helpful for looking stuff up.

As for a two-hander, you could just add the tag Huge and reflavor Hooks & Spikes. Hooks & Spikes is +1 damage, +1 weight, sounds like it would work for a giant two-handed sword.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Not knowing the fiction you've established, seems like you could have fronts for what is going on up-chain and another for the land below.  Maybe climbing the chain is a perilous journey only if they're climbing higher than they have before.  Two handed swords are great - one hand on the chain and the other on the, man, this sword is heavy... :-)

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
@scrape yeah B&G was very handy! For 2handers, I was actually thinking that it could make sense to follow the same principle of dual weilding: no bonus unless you get a class move for that. Maybe a fighter move that gives +1d6 damage if you're weilding your weapon with both hands. Or if the players are whiny, just +1 damage and +2 weight (+1 is too low!).

@mease oooh that's interesting! Absolutely, we will have that going up & down the chain isn't perilous unless you are going higher than ever! Thanks a lot!

noofy

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 12:39:31 AM »
Hey Adam, the Skychain sounds intriguing! Is it one of your own starters? Would you be wiling to share? :)

I think depending on the vision your players have about their two handed means of destruction they could have the tags: messy, clumsy, and even brutal.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 09:05:43 AM »
the sky chain came with the kickstarter package, and it's by marshall miller!