Custom Move: Dungeon Prep

• 13 Replies
Custom Move: Dungeon Prep
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:30:22 AM »
This is roughly inspired by John Wicks "Dirty Dungeon" video which can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsnvANYBRWo

What it does is relay some of that dungeon prep work to the players by allowing them to come up with details about the dungeon. In exchange they get hold that make rolls easier but the GM gets hold that allows him to fuck up their well researched plans. Also this involves players in the creation of the dungeon map itself.

So here's the moves:

Dungeon Research
When you research a dungeon by looking for maps, books and other artifacts describing it, roll +INT.
On a 10+, draw a room on the dungeon map and chose one or two from the list below
On a 7-9, draw a room on the dungeon map and chose one from the list below and the GM holds 1
- Describe a very dangerous obstacle in the dungeon, hold 2
- Describe a complication or danger in the dungeon, hold 1
- Describe a boon, reward or treasure in the dungeon, hold 1 and the GM holds 1
On a miss the DM holds 2.
- Draw two more non-adjacent rooms, hold 1

Dungeon Rumors
When you research a dungeon by talking to people who been there and listening to stories about it, roll +CHA.
On a 10+, draw a room on the dungeon map and chose one or two from the list below
On a 7-9, draw a room on the dungeon map and chose one from the list below and the GM holds 1
- Describe a very dangerous obstacle in the dungeon, hold 2
- Describe a complication or danger in the dungeon, hold 1
- Describe a boon, reward or treasure in the dungeon, hold 1 and the GM holds 1
On a miss the DM holds 2.
- Draw two more non-adjacent rooms, hold 1

Any player (excepting the DM) can spend the hold while in the described dungeon for a +1 to any roll relating to the dungeon. The hold has to be spent before rolling and is limited to 2 hold per roll.

The DM can spend his hold while describing the dungeon. For 1 hold he can change a detail on something (soft move "reveal an unwelcome truth") that was previously researched. This is a reversible difference to the researched material such as there being a bit more monsters, the riddle being different or a normally unlocked door being locked.
By spending 2 hold he can significantly change something previously described (hard move "reveal an unwelcome truth"). This is usually an irreversible change. Things such as a dungeon room being flooded, the key treasure being something different altogether or a passage having collapsed.

Note: This is untested.

Also I would have loved to has a WIS version of this. I was thinking "scouting" but that doesn't really work with subterranean dungeons.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:35:50 AM by Democritus »

noofy

Re: Custom Move: Dungeon Prep
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
I like it! I did something similar to this too a while back but without all the player and GM hold tallies to keep track of. We used d6s in the cup instead. Still, it became unwieldy (and as I've increasingly discovered) not that much fun to use hold as a +1 modifier. Narrative cues are so much better in AW driven games.

Also, to avoid the whole 'keep making the research a dungeon move until the dungeon is satisfactory' scenario, how about we make this a steading move and allow one roll per player. Combining the brilliance of Mike's World of Dungeons Random tables and John's Dirty Dungeon concept we get one of Tony's or Dyson's maps elegantly left with blanks and a few choice tags or cues as to what the dungeon is all about.

Dungeon Research
When you inquire about a dungeon's history by perusing for maps, tomes, scrolls and other artifacts describing it, roll +INT. If the steading is a centre of learning carry +1 forward to this roll

On a 13+, draw what you ascertained about the dungeon map (or choose one of the unlabelled one page dungeon maps from the pile) and select 5 Categories from the list below that according to your research, Know to be located within the dungeon. Select a specific cue for each and note their bolded tags on your dungeon map.

On a 10-12, draw what you have discovered on the dungeon map (or choose a one page dungeon from the pile) and select 5 categories from the list below that according to your research, believe to be true. Note one specific cue for each and write their tags on your dungeon map.

On a 7-9, draw the dungeon map or choose 5 categories from the list below and note their cues.

On a miss you don't discover much worth telling and you have caused trouble in your investigations that will most certainly trigger outstanding warrants in the future. Do tell.

*Those that Built...

1. The walls show signs of dwarven craftsmanship.
2. They were far more advanced than you.
3. These tunnels weren't cut. They were burrowed.
4. It must have taken thousands of slaves.
5. They tunnelled up from below.
6. Most elves wouldn't live underground.

*What Caused the Downfall

1. Their hubris angered the gods.
2. The war left the land in ruins.
3. The walls crumbled against the forces of nature.
4. This place was simply forgotten.
5. The experiment went terribly wrong.
6. The flood has only now receded.

*Purpose

1. The vault held the kingdom's riches.
2. Murderers were imprisoned here.
3. The mine may still hold riches.
4. They sought protection from the storms.
5. This was once a hero's tomb.
6. The hatchery was carefully guarded.

*Lore

1. The scroll describes an object of great power.
2. There's something strange about this map.
3. The prophecy is coming true.
4. History was written by the victors.
5. These plans are incomplete.
6. The portal leads to undiscovered lands.

Dungeon Rumors
When you get the dirt on a dungeon'd denizens by talking to people who've been there and listening to stories about it, roll +CHA.

On a 13+, you can choose a detailed dungeon map from the pile and select 5 categories from the list below that according to your sources, are almost certainly true. Note the individual tags  of your choice under each heading on your dungeon map.

On a 10-12,  Select 5 categories from the list below that word on the street, indicates to be true. Draw a rough mud map of the dungeon that only encompasses their individual tags.

On a 7-9, draw a basic dungeon map or choose 5 categories from the list below and note their tags.

On a miss you make a name for yourself as a pest. When you return triumphant and throw a big party things will most certainly get really out of hand.

*Community

1. It's a perfect hideout for the outlaws.
2. The cult must perform their rituals.
3. One of the local clans has settled here.
4. The refugees have no other home.
5. The monks require peace and solitude.
6. You've just stepped in goblin dung.

*Creature

1. The hive never ceases its work.
2. A dragon has made this its lair.
3. They're in hibernation. For now.
4. An abomination lurks below.
5. The dead still guard this place.
6. The ooze spreads from a dark heart.

*Hermit

1. An exiled king rules this place.
2. The mad adventurer has lost his way.
3. The wraith wants only release.
4. She is the last of the giants.
5. The oracle would like a word with you.
6. The necromancer's soul is bound here.

*Hazard

1. Crossing the raging river won't be easy.
2. The air is filled with poison spores.
3. You must navigate the labyrinth.
4. The bridge has seen much better days.
5. There are very few handholds on the ventilation shaft.
6. The floor is lava.

*Trap

1. The water is flooding in fast.
2. The poison makes you feel unnaturally weak.
3. That statue just moved...
4. This gauntlet was designed by a mad wizard.
5. The way out is blocked by a cave in.
6. The pit is bottomless.

*Cache

1. The library is full of ancient texts.
2. There's more gold here than you can carry.
3. The relic has been here all along.
4. There's something gleaming in the armoury.
5. The eggs won't survive on their own.
6. They've been keeping hostages.

During Play
When making your move as GM, remember to never speak its name, but you may  decide to reveal an unwelcome truth about a category of the dungeon by deciding (or changing) its cue and tag, or by filling in blank spaces on the map, or by pointing to a looming threat or by making them backtrack or by introducing a new faction or type of creature etc.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:17 AM »
This is mad! Dungeon research—what a move!

Scrape

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
I just ask each player to tell me one rumor they've heard about the dungeon. Then I secretly label one 'false' and modify a second.

Dungeon Research seems cool but it also seems like a lot of prep work for a table that could be finding all of this out during roleplay. Plus I kinda feel like discovering the dungeon is most of the fun of a dungeoncrawl, y'know?

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
Scrape: The idea is that the players only bring in some details but don't mesh out the entire dungeon. Also YMMV and all that - some players like discovery, some like being involved. After all, if they don't like it, they're free to not take the moves :)

Also noofy, I like your spin on it though I find the tables excessive, even though they are neat.

Scrape

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
Yeah yeah, I definitely let my players come up with some of the dungeon details, but I use a much less structured approach: "Tell me some rumors about this place. Based on what you've heard, what's the most dangerous thing in there? What's the strangest? How did you hear this and how trustworthy are they?" Hell, the current adventure was ad-libbed from the player ideas entirely!

If a move works better for some groups, then by all means use it. I prefer a less-structured approach but that's just my table.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »
Sounds like a fine solution but I have to admit that I kinda like the dynamic where the more thinky (wis, cha) characters can set up things for (or against!) the fighty (str, dex) characters. I think this could work really well in a party with the appropriate dynamics.

noofy

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
Oh, I was just brainstorming :)

We usually play just as Scrape describes, which doesn't play out as a move per se, though in actual fact the GM is using their dungeon moves, Change the environment or  present a challenge to one of the characters or point to a looming threat in particular.

I just like the idea of a custom player move that allows some player authorship other than the standbys of spout lore and discern realities. Though in truth, I think its just better to just have some themed lists or 'impressions' like in Marshall's Starters to coaelsce the group 'vision' and ask questions and build on the answers.

Why fix what ain't broke?

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
That reminds me - how do people use the impressions things? Do you put them in at appropriate moments, give them out at the beginning so the players get some idea of what kind of adventure they'll be having, use them as a GM only to set the scene in your own head? Something else entirely?

noofy

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
I use a mix of all of those! They sort of start as a nibble, looking for fish. If the players bite, then you can dig a little deeper and ask questions and use the answers. At least that's what I do.

Scrape

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
I use them initially to just get an impression of the scenario, then I toss them in during play, as events when there's a lull or I want something to happen. A lot of the time they just spark ideas that I can use during the game, I think that's what they're for.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
I'm actually curious how other people use impression too!

Here's how I envisioned them working:
"So, after scaring off the goblin sentries you push further into the cave.  As you round the bend you see... uh... [looks at list of impressions] ...a pair of hollow-eyed children in a cage.  Lucia, you're from around here do you know either of them?  No, I wonder where they came from then. Raggen, is there any sign of what the goblin's intended to do with them?  A big pot of boiling broth you say?  You've got a moment while the sentries are away, what do you do?"
The idea being that, as a whole, they'd give you a feel for the setting but, individually, could be used to spark encounters with the GM asking questions to flesh out details.  The idea was also to have enough of them that you could run it with different groups and, choosing a different subset of impressions, come up with different fiction that still had the same themes and tone.  My hope was that they'd take the place of GM prep for a first session and you could just slap some playbooks on the table and play at a moment's notice.

Scrape

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly how they come across, and that's totally how I use them.

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
That's actually how I often use everything on a Dungeon Starter. I still use moves as moves, but sometimes I use just their color and what they imply.