MCs: what do you want to do better?

• 19 Replies
MCs: what do you want to do better?
« on: September 01, 2010, 02:05:05 AM »
In between every session, I usually look back at something I did not-so-well as the MC and think, "how can I do this better?"

1. After the first session I was mainly focused on creating Fronts, & saying interesting things.
2. After the second session I realized there were no PC-NPC-PC triangles, the PCs were a whole united front, and so I wanted to do triangles better.
3. I don't think there was anything after the third session; I felt pretty good about my contributions after this one.
4. After the fourth session (tonight) I realized I need to keep falling back on my moves*, and I need to ask more questions.

You?

*I didn't look at the moves list until the very end of the game, and I felt that what I said & my contribution in general suffered. I think this was a result of (1) not looking at the moves list when it was my turn to speak, and (2) not taking time when it was my turn to speak and feeling a little overwhelmed at trying to introduce my Fronts in between what the players wanted to do--from here on out, if the players are really active and want to do things, I think I should simply let them (try to) do them, and not worry about my fronts so much. Falling back on the moves will, I hope, continue to be a natural way to introduce Fronts & complications from what the players are doing, as it was in session 3.

Re: MCs: what do you want to do better?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:56:31 AM »
I'm horribly at actually writing up my fronts. Usually I just assign a few threat types to named NPCs or interested setting bits, and some custom moves as appropriate. Actually determining a fundamental scarcity, dark future, stakes questions, countdown timers? Yeah, not so much.

People still seem to enjoy my games (I think!) so I don't feel too bad about it, but I do look at the empty front booklet staring at me accusatorially from time to time and feel the faintest twinges of guilt.

Bret

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:11:52 AM »
I want to get better at starting fights and at remembering the Harm move.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 07:29:44 AM »

More physical description -- I tend to barf forth apocalyptica almost exclusively through NPC actions/motivations & psychic maelstrom. Need more landscapes & small perfect descriptive details.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Sometimes my descriptions feels like the Barf Forth Minute, then we're back to the game.  Need to mix it in better.

A couple of the PCs are less tied-in than the others.  Makes me anxious, and want to start throwing ersatz crappy at them until an NPC sticks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:53:30 AM by Joe Beason »

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I want to be harder with my hard moves so that Bret and Vincent will have some small shred of respect for me.
"I don't care what Wilson says." -- some slanderous bastard on the internet

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 02:40:06 AM »
Just 2 sessions in but I have some things to say about my experience.

After session 1 I felt I really rushed (partly because we have a limited play time) and didn't ask enough questions, felt like I didn't have enough information about the player-characters.

After session 2 I felt like I was just starting to really understand the moves and how they really do drive absolutely everything. But more than anything I need to barf apocalyptica more and really be more brutal. My apocalypse world isn't really as frightening and terrible as it should be and that has the players feeling far too comfortable. I need to shake things up and make apocalypse world seem real.

All in all, I loved doing the front homework, then in session two I totally forgot to apply a couple custom moves which totally should have applied.

I absolutely love this game and feel it's close to how I've always liked to run my games, just more structured, and in a way that I really like. It is different though in how the moves rule the world, and that's just sings to me, can't wait to play again.

DannyK

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »
Kicking PC's in the nuts when they blow a roll is hard to do. 

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:03 AM »
Kicking PC's in the nuts when they blow a roll is hard to do. 

hear, hear, brother.

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 04:44:13 AM »
Putting NPCs in the crosshairs. I find myself getting really attached to certain NPCs, and it hurts to endanger them or kill them. 

DWeird

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 05:03:09 AM »
Intermitten rewards.

I have never really understood the problem people had with dishing out fuckery... The thing where you have to remember to give them a little taste of raw unadulterated success, though - that I fail at. Not always, but often enough for it to be consistent.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
Just ran my first game at PAX, after playing about 10 sessions.

Things I need to do better:

- Remember that there's plenty of cool stuff the characters can do that's not a move.  Remind the players of that too.  Sometimes we were looking at the sheet and trying to figure out which move something was, when the right answer was "none."  I need to just keep on pushing the fiction harder until a move results.

- Create PC-NPC-PC triangles, even in one-shots.  That means giving personalities to the NPCs in the PCs gang / crew, etc. for starters, and then playing the other NPCs harder.

- Get the players talking first, before we do character creation.  Maybe we should even brainstorm the world and what the characters are about before I hand out the character booklets.  That would probably be better.  It took us a while to hook into the fiction and get rolling.

DannyK

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 04:27:17 AM »
It really helps, I've noticed, if they're Story Gamer types who like to make their own trouble.  It's also good if they hump like bunnies, at least with each others' crew NPC's. 

In retrospect, I should have stressed the "you all know each other" aspect of chargen harder, it's a bit of work to get the characters connected.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
Fights, fights, and once again - fights. And, did I mentioned battles?
Also, making characters lives not boring - is not that easy for me, as it seemed for the first time.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
It's also good if they hump like bunnies, at least with each others' crew NPC's. 

man, we're 4 sessions in and no fucking so far. I really want to to change that, as much as I can as MC.