New Playbook: A Boy and His Dog

• 25 Replies

Arvid

Re: New Playbook: A Boy and His Dog
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
Also, I think all Playbooks need social Moves, or Moves that add to the world in some way; that create something in the world.  Also, what is the BaHD's niche in the world?  I'm not sure it's combat.  The Gunlugger and Battlebabe already do combat - that is their niche. So where does the Boy and His Dog fit into the world?

I agree with this.

How about the dog has a maelstrom/mutation/whatever affinity for tracking; It can find just anything in the ruins or the wilderness. Food, people, high technology... safety? Have the boy-dog bond allow them to do things no-one else can do, at least not as well.

That would give other people a reason to interact with the boy and his dog, and a reason for the boy and his dog to get involved in their lives.

Bret

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 11:25:39 AM »
DannyK was working on a neat move for his dog-related playbook that lets you find people or places or things. I think that would be tops for this.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »
I was also thinking about a "Search" move for ABaHD. 

I did come up with a move called "Somewhere Out There" for the Tribal Playbook I created a week ago.  Was wondering if it worked for this Playbook, or if something else would seem more appropriate?

Somewhere Out There:  Name a person, place or thing out in the Wastelands that you want to find.  It exists.  Roll +Sharp.  On a success, you know where it is, but the MC chooses 1.  On a 7-9, the MC chooses 2.  A fail, the MC chooses 4.
•   It's far off;
•   In hostile territory;
•    it's in the vicinity;
•   You can't go back the same way you came;
•   it's been claimed;
•    it's not what you expected;
•   it's in danger.

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
Somewhere Out There:
I love this move.  So much.  Though, I'm not sure why "it's in the vicinity" is on the list.  All the others are bad.  That one doesn't sound like it could possibly be bad if you're naming something "you want to find."

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
Well, there's always the Intermittent rewards part of the "Respond with Fuckery" principle.  Sometimes, the MC should have the option to be kind.

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:55:52 PM »
Very true.

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:31 PM »
Somewhere Out There:
I love this move.  So much.  Though, I'm not sure why "it's in the vicinity" is on the list.  All the others are bad.  That one doesn't sound like it could possibly be bad if you're naming something "you want to find."

Hmm, was wondering if I should reword that.  Maybe: "It's not where you thought it was, but you're close."

Ie, the PC's never been there before and is fuzzy on the details.  Or maybe it's moved.  Or maybe someone's making off with it.

DannyK

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
I like that, but I'm leery of giving the Dog-Boy's player declarative power to add stuff to the setting, that could seriously screw up the MC's program. 

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I think the player's adding to the world is a great idea.  The game belongs to them as much as to the MC.  Adding something they want means they'll be more invested in it, as opposed to the MC trying to guess what they want.

If the player's a twink, and wants to find Excalibur, or a piece of the True Cross - or something equally silly and out of the setting, well first of there should be a social contract in place where the MC frowns and asks, "really?" 

If the player persists, well, there's a failsafe.  Even if the player rolls 12+, the MC still chooses the outcome.  "Excalibur is far away.  Really, really far away."

If the request is reasonable - like finding a doctor to save the PC's dying sister, there's a way to do it.  And the MC can put the person, place or item square in the path of one of the Fronts.

Therefore, if x exists, the PC will want to go towards it.  Complications will arise based on the effect the MC chooses.  Then characters will try to overcome.  A narrative is weaved, based on the obstacle and the actions of the players. 

If anything, this is a Move that helps the story forwards.

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »
I like that, but I'm leery of giving the Dog-Boy's player declarative power to add stuff to the setting, that could seriously screw up the MC's program. 
Srsly?  That was my favorite thing about it!?  As a very inexperienced MC, I can say with no authority whatsoever, that I never have a "program" anyway!  I'm playing to find out what happens!

Bret

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 02:50:12 PM »
I think it works fine, bearing in mind that the MC has the same editorial authority over the setting as at any other time. The MC's program being, "Make Apocalypse World seem real," if the player says, "Okay, I want to find a settlement that has existed in a pristine state since the apocalypse and maybe some kittens riding on rainbows" you can say, "Har, no."

So yeah, the "It exists" statement needs to be violable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:52:02 PM by Bret »
Tupacalypse World