Apocalypse Love and Kisses

• 47 Replies

Arvid

Re: Apocalypse Love and Kisses
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:19:04 AM »
I think this Loveletter part of the game is what makes me consider MC-ing. It´s really a great tool to make your players (and their characters) feel special.

Oh dang, my players are reading this thread! :D

Yeah, it's also a great tool for me, who cannot help myself from piling things on my players, always adding on your actions so that everything happens in two days time. This way I can summarize and not allow myself to spin off on the players actions too much. Neato.

Oh, and I like how Nero's letter is so... subtle. It's just answers. None of the bad things are really bad (Two Moon is a pretty nice lady, and Nero is good at acting under fire) but they are wrong. It fits very well with Nero's careful-anxious personality.

Daimyos letter is a different beast alltogether, he gets to throw peoples lives around. The game scales up nicely. I like that.

You're getting one too, a fitting one for Canaveral of course.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:20:41 AM by Arvid »

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »
Well, I´m a curious bastard, Arvid. And very interested in what kind of stuff Canaveral can be expecting during her days with Newtons travelling cirkus... *grin*

But seriously, reading those letters give me loads of inspiration to use with the more traditional games I´m running now as well as making me want to run "my own" AW.

Arvid

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:10:42 PM »
Of course I'm not keeping any secrets, but I feel that MC letters should be saved for the session to avoid play before play. No building of expectations and planning, but rather wham, doing it there, in the moment. Creates momentum instead of failure-success anxiety that I know at least me and Glenn (Daimyo's player) to be prone to.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 05:32:39 PM by Arvid »

Arvid

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
Just some thoughts on MC letters in general:

Of course I'm not keeping any secrets, but I feel that MC letters should be saved for the session to avoid play before play. No building of expectations and planning, but rather wham, doing it there, in the moment. Creates momentum instead of failure-success anxiety that I know at least me and Glenn (Daimyo's player) to be prone to.

Arvid

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »
Two more loveletters for today.

To our hardholder:

Dear Daimyo
So you're going to war. That great ancient beast has followed humanity all through its history, and now it has awoken again, and it's ready to see blood.

But see, the thing is - You've just been to war. You crushed a hardhold, no casualties, sure, but then you went and beat your gang against itself til you rooted the bad parts out, before the bruises from Rustbelt had even healed. A lot of people are still hurt, including you, a few even dead, or reserved for guard duty.

But the rumors have spread. New people are showing up on your doorstep every day, in two's and three's. People who believe in you, people who believe you can let them carve out a good life by killing and looting, people with nowhere else to go. The rot in your fortress has been purged, and your gun is oh so big and so very, very shiny. Everybody loves a winner. Your gang grows large, but it still wears a heavy 2-harm on it's shoulders.

So yeah, sure. Let Newton dance around Sunken City, fight, make allies, dig in, whatever the hell he feels like. You're going to take your time and build a god damn iron hammer coming down on his nest, fast and hard like the burning fucking apocalypse.

Well, now how the fuck are you going to do that. That's up to you Mister General Daimyo, Sir. Time to make some big boy decisions over peoples lives.

Roll +hard. 10+, choose two good things. 7-9, two good things and one bad thing. Miss, one good thing and two bad things. And since you're a greedy bastard, you can choose to take one additional bad and one additional good thing before rolling.

Good things:
* You scrounge up some extra roughnecks and pay them to cover the gaps in your lines. Some from the Kettle family, some from Greentown... Pay 2-barter right now or promise them 3-barter later (Loot not included!) to have your gang heal 1-harm, or increase the home guard.
* You manage to get Exit and Joe's Girl to stitch everyone up and hand out painkillers, even singing them bedtime songs for fucks sake. Heal 1-harm for your gang. Now you owe them 1-barter.
* Hey, I have an idea! You could just plunder Exits tent for frenzy candy and cram that shit into your men before leaving. She, he, whatever the fuck it is, is probably going to leave town for what you've done, though. Doctors, who the fuck needs them, right? New Jerk automatically gets want: disease for this session. Your gang heals 1-harm, and are fucking ready, you know what I mean? Like, they're howling about carcasses for the hyena. That's how ready they are. These guys fight til death.
* You find a good scout or two to spare, and send them out to spend some time by the coast. Once you meet up with them, roll for Read a sitch, with +2.
* You managed to tear Barker away from his gizmos long enough to fix up a mortar from the old armory. You have a precious few shells too, like three of them. Good for tearing things down, and you can also spend your holds on a leadership roll to Make an attack with coordinated artillery. Tell me you're not a happy puppy. Just tell me you aren't happy!

Bad things:
* That fucking hyena is watching you when you sleep, and you can't chase him off. Just watching. Taking hyena notes. Posting it to his friends.
* Soldiers are hungry. You don't quite manage to gather together all the supplies you need, but you pull some strings. New Jerk automatically gets want: hunger for this session, and you owe Greentown one. Like, a big one. And you can't lose Greentown, no siree, then you'll lose your people.
* Oh shit. You can't find your little Rolfball text machine. Where is it?

Love and kisses, and good luck
Your MC

To our Battlebabe, a captive/guest in Newton's camp:

Dear Canaveral
Hey hot baby, smooth sister, hey girl, how are you doing? Oh, you're far away from home, that's how you are doing.

Tell, me do you remember home?

Where are you from, cool girl?

You always seem far away from home. Was there ever a home? Or is the wind your father, the sand your mother? Just a daughter of the apocalypse.

Okay, um, yeah. Whereever you might come from, right now you're in the thick of it, neck deep in messy, tasty possiblities, and they're sticky with trouble. So you'll have to play it cool. Are you cool? Oh hell yeah, you you're the coolest. You were born for it. So roll +cool for me one more time. 10+, choose three good things and a bad thing. 7-9, choose two good things and a bad thing. Miss, two bad things and a good thing. Good luck, baby!

Good things:
* You get one of your weapons back. (Newton keeps the other one hostage)
* You get your horse back.
* Brace cuts you some slack on his leash.
* Ask me anything about Newton or his army. Take a +1 forward when acting on it.
* You find some friends in the camp that thinks you're cool enough to protect from harm. They're a small gang; Leah, Whitmont, Buzz, Dandelion and Meatball.

Bad things:
* Fuse turns up at your bed at night. You're not awake yet, and she has a bunch of friends. Shit. Take one harm for when they give you a beating, and that won't go away while on the move.
* After Fox busted through the camp, Newton had you questioned. He asked about Fox, and then about Daimyo. I might have you roll to interfere against Daimyo. You don't have to do anything, it's just that Newton knows Daimyos tricks from what you've told him. Ha-ha!
* Brace is like a god damn hawk, you can feel his eye on you all the time. I hold 1, and I can spend it to have him seen it coming whenever you do something funny.

Love and kisses
Your MC

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 06:27:14 PM »
I made another one.  This time, Kreider is the only one who needs to make a move because, poor guy, he got himself in a bad place last game.  He's going to be making this roll every session, more or less, until he shakes what's got him.

Dear Kreider

Sleepless nights and hungry, hungry days.  Something came loose during that fight with Foster, maybe?  More and more you find yourself up all night thinking about that long, dark tunnel and all the rubble and rocks between it and you.  There’s the hunger, too.  Things aren’t as meager as they have been but still, your stomach rumbles louder than the trucks that come bringing trade.  Shouldn’t the boss, at least, get enough to eat?  Let’s see how you’re holding up under all this extra pressure.

Roll + Cool

On a 10+ Nothing to see here.  Move along.

On a 7-9 I’m going to hold 1, on a miss, I’ll hold 3.  I’m going to spend them to…
-   Give you -1 when you Manipulate or Seduce
-   Offer up +1 for when you Go Aggro or Seize by Force
-   Pick something from the Suffer Harm list
-   Make you Act Under Fire from the Voice In The Southern Passage.

Shit luck, friend.

Love and kisses,
Your MC

Arvid

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
A voice in a tunnel?

TELL ME MORE

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
A voice in a tunnel?

TELL ME MORE

The story goes that Kreider, Pioneer of the Village, came to this site because of some prophetic dream.  Here, where he built the bunker, he found a great deep cavern of worked stone and in it, a metal tower of some kind.  He's been clearing out the tunnels below ever since. 

Lately, though, the Southern Passage calls to him.

He opened his brain to the maelstrom last session, to see what was what.  He saw men in HAZMAT suits rushing to close off the tunnel - to seal away forever the treasure buried there.  Now he's hearing whispers from that collapsed place.  The men have stopped - too afraid and hungry to dig, so he spends the nights alone, hacking away at the rubble with a pickaxe.  Thinking.  Listening.

(hopefully failing his rolls)

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:15 PM »
Ok, so my first one of these.  The PC's are Tork (chopper), Midnight (gunlugger), Raf (angel), Silver (hocus).  I've said before that I don't like purely mechanical consequences as outcomes of these letters, but for this one it actually is a narrative thing as Silver caused some serious grief to Raf:

Dear Silver,

How's it hanging?  Seems like the sun rose today, so the rest of the guides must have taken care of that while Steinway had you locked up for roughing up a rhymer or causing havoc or just pissing off the Angel or whatever bullshit reason he used to explain it, if he bothered.  Speaking of, can you believe how Raf acted?  All offended and hurt and accusing just like that?  And now you've had to spend a couple perfectly good days in one of the window wells Steinway uses as cells, with the cats all prowling around on the other side of that pane of glass and watching you.  Your pretty convinced that, had they wanted to they could have come straight through the glass for you.  A couple of the younger ones came up and pawed at the glass, and you can see the inner pane is barely there any more, but the mothers just herded them away after a bit.  You could swear they were laughing the whole time.

Anyway. Peanut went a little nuts about you being taken in, loudly working the guides up to take a run at Steinway.  It's got everyone in the Prom nervous, and it's not like you and yours are particularily popular to begin with, so dont expect people to be a nicey-nice with you guys for a bit.  you should make your fortunes roll to see how things are looking at this very moment for the guides. 

Steinway came and had a talk with you about your predicament.  Seems the old coot has something he wants done, something that'll make all forgiven, which I'll tell you about in a moment.  He's let you go after extracting a promise that you would get it done.  Whether or not you live up to that promise, well, that's up to you.  So roll +hard: On a 10+ choose 1.  7-9, choose two:
-   Steinway, or Treble really, was real emphatic in making his point.  You think something might be broken in your shoulder, and breathing ain't exactly an easy thing.  Take 3 harm straight up.
-   They found the Book on you, and took it.  Steinway says he'll return it after.
-   The guy who died  was one of the Man Man crew, and boy are they pissed about it.  Especially his sister Gator.  Seems to think the whole thing was your fault, you personally.
On a miss, they're all true.  It just ain't fair, huh?

Hugs and Kisses,
the MC
My real name is Timo

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »
I cleaned up some of the text on that last one, but the gist is the same.  here are the letters for the gunlugger and the angel as well.  The choppers not in the next session, he gets a letter when he comes back for the next one.

Dear Midnight,
Things are looking up for you, aren't they?  You and Tork are all buddy buddy now, so you can hang out with the Rollers more.  Shithead still has it in for you, but it's not like he's gonna do much to you without the rest of the gang behind him, and besides he's off on that super-secret mission thing with Tork.

Which actually has kind of fucked you over.  when Tork took off with Shithead, Dice, Gnarly and III Bullet took over.  Whenever you push the issue about heading over to Temple Point, Bullet comes up with another reason they can't spare a guy:  looters, protect the bikes, Steinway needs us, man man... yadda yadda.  Maybe he's still holding a grudge over that whole "head butting him hard enough to make his nose bleed" thing.  I know, right?  Such a baby.  Anyway, the Rollers have spent the last couple of days holed up in the hall,  Occasionally heading out on a foray with Man man to beat up some Gogol Bordello guys, doing a lot of drugs.  It's kind of frustrating. 

But hey, it's not like everything has been for nothing.  All this time among people, you're practically popular.  Roll +hot.  On 10+ choose 2, 7-9 choose 1
-   Despite everything, you've managed to get the stuff to fix up your bike.    Looks like you'll be able to get over to Temple point under your own power after all.  Tell me who you got it from, and what you promised/did for them.
-   All the craziness means you've been in demand.  Most importantly, the GB guys have hired you on to bodyguard.  Tell me what they offered you, and what/who you're guarding.
-   Junk has taken a real shine to you.  Not in a horizontal sense (not yet at least) but she's actually shaping up to be someone worth spending some time with.  Tell me what you guys are about, and what you dig in her.

On a miss, I'll choose one of these, and tell you how it is.  Trust me, you won't be so happy about that.

Anyway I'll let you get on your way, you got things to do, stuff from the past to find, people to kill.  Just remember what your brother told you yesterday morning.  Or was it the day before?  I dunno, the day after you woke up with a cat in your room.  But yeah, He told you "keep you chin up and your eyes clear if you don't want to end up like dad.   And get a fucking haircut, you look like a goddamned drowned rat."  Toodles!
Love and Kisses,
Your MC

Dear Raf,

Shit's been tough, huh buddy?  Well listen, we're all rooting for you kiddo, we're behind you 110 percent.  I know things have been messed up, what with you having killed that boy and all, but we know you didn't mean it, just like with your sister.  It's not your fault, y'know?  It's not like people keep dying on you whenever you try to heal them directly so you have to use these blunt instruments instead.  Not like people are relying on you and you keep screwing up.  Nothing like that at all. 

Really It's all that Silver's fault.  If she hadn't fucked with you, that boy would be up and about right now, just fine, laughing, singing, having a grand old time.  Instead she decided to do.. . whatever it is she did and now he's gone gone gone.  So yeah, Not your fault at all.

Things ain't been going so well since... well, y'know.  Man Man and Gogol Bordello are all over each other, and Steinway's had to send Treble and his boys out to keep the peace.  Which means you've been a little busy, what with all the brouhaha.  It's kind of fucked, all the players can't really hit each other direct as it's against the rules, but all their lickspittles and groupies and fans and such take the hints they drop and away it goes.  Shit's been nasty, bad enough that Steinway's apparently going to hold a big meetup, what they call a Jam to set things right.  here's hoping it works.

But we're glad to see you're keeping shit together.  How you doing that?  Go ahead and tell me and then come back to this letter.  Roll +cool to find out exactly how close to the edge you are.  10+ choose 1, 7-9 choose 2.  Regardless, you're down stock, down about half.
-   By farming out the easy stuff to shegusa and mox, you've been able to stay ahead of the curve, but barely.  Unless shit gets cleared up, you're going to start losing people or having to turn them away untreated.
-   Steinway took a turn for the worse.  He's stable for now, but the drugs aren't working anymore.  You've got him on some powerful shit that's holding him together, just and just, but they're harder to find.
-   In the confusion someone has been stealing supplies from the infirmary.  Mostly pain pills and the like, so you can still treat people, but it's getting hairy every time you need to do something major.

On a miss, it's all true buddy.  Sorry.  But hey, one-hundred and ten percent, remember.

Love and Kisses,
Your MC
My real name is Timo

Arvid

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
One of the letters I used today to introduce a character. All I knew was that he was either a brainer or a skinner, and he was going to sleep around - a lot! So I took the oppertunity to connect him with the NPCs. (The character was a female skinner, as it turned out)

Hello Mr Skinner!
Hey there, people, I'm ________, they say Im the cutest boy in town - My horse is fast, my teeth are shiney, I tell all the girls they can kiss my hiney.
Oh God, I am the american dream, I do not think I'm too extreme - And I'm a handsome sonofabitch, I'm gonna get a good job 'n be real rich

How are you doing, hot stuff? What are you up to? Riding around with the god damn rescue rangers? That, my friend, is awesome. Tell me, what gave you that idea?

Hey, let's play a game! Give me the names of people of note you've slept with, or had some other kind of intimate and sincere moment with, pick from this list;

Rose, Brace, Two Moon, Fox, Daimyo, Black Kitchen, III, Barker, Razor, Dust Witch, Beastie, Fianelly, Crin, Honeytree (Owns the brothel in New Jerk).

Yes, you can pick as many as you like. Don't be shy!

Now, roll +Cool for how things turned out.

10+ Up to four good endings, plus one bad ending.
7-9 Up to three good endings, at least two bad endings.
Miss, it's a clusterfuck! Everyone wants to kill everybody else, either they want you or they hate you, but they're all making you fucking miserable! I'm going to barf bad endings all over them, you get to pick ONE good ending though. Hahaha!

Good endings:
- You learnt this persons weaknesses.
- You learnt this persons dreams.
- You learnt this persons dark secrets.
- This person gave you a gift.
- This person will give you shelter.
- This person helps you out with something useful.
- This person wants to please you, like so bad.
- This person inspired you to a great work of art.

Bad endings:
- One of them must have you and won't let go.
- One of them wants to use you so they can kill off another person from the list.
- One of them learnt something about you that you don't tell people about.
- One of them did something bad to you.
- One of them, you owe.
- One of them scares you like hell. Perhaps you can't figure them out, or they remind you of someone.
- One of them got you entangled in their business.
- One of them you still have feelings for, but you wish you didn't.

Of course, you learnt something from the experience. Mark one experience for every person you've named after the first one, to maximum of 5 experience.

----

It worked beautifully, and I can recommend it as a custom move for new characters.

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
It also allowed the guy to catch up a bit in experience relative to the rest of us: we had all been on or about our sixth advancement when he retired his hardholder to safety and decided to make a new character.

Arvid

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Another love and kisses letter, for our operator. I wanted to get things rolling since we started the story in a new place at a later date (as mentioned), and also get a better feel for his motivation. Worked swell.

Oh, and it's a long one. I'm sorry.

Nero
Alright, how you doing? You're on the road again, roaming the land with Canaveral, a new friend, and maybe some kind of crew beyond that. Either that, or it's all contacts in different places.  Okay, let's see how business have been, shall we? Tell me the names of some of the people you've been working with or working for, pick them from this list;

Rose, Brace, Rolfball, Barker, Scream, Beastie, Fianelly, Crin, Honeytree.
(Honeytree owns the brothel in New Jerk, owns all of Cheapside, some might say.)

Now, roll +Cool.

10+ Hey, cool! Choose one of the names you just mentioned. They owe you one.
7-9 One of them owe you, but you owe another one. It's a little complicated, but otherwise things are floating!
On a miss, shit. I'm going to name one of them, and they're coming for you.

Right now, though you're staying in this place. Maybe it's just a little bunker or farm, maybe it's a hardhold, maybe it's a travelling company. We'll expand on that. Anyway, you've been keeping an eye open, picked up on what's going on. Could be oppurtunities, could be trouble. Pick from this list:

Things going on:
- Things have started to turn ugly with people, and you're going to have to pick the winning side, or learn them to put their differences aside.
- The people by the river are weird. Disconcerting things have been happening to someone you know.
- Someone is keeping to themselves, building something.
- This honest working family just got captured by some asshole.
- Disease and hunger are hitting this place bad. They need help.
- You've recognized one of the important people from New Jerk or Sunken City, but they have no idea you're here.
- Some brave youngsters are preparing for a trip, going to explore a special place that could help them.
- Someone is ruining themselves, and they're going to bring others with them in their fall.

Now tell me which things you've gotten involved in, and...

Why do you do this? Riding around, doing jobs?

Really now, tell me. For each thing.
- For the barter
- Doing the right thing
- You care for someone
- Something or someone you could use
- Getting a good contact or favor
- Gut feeling
- Curiosity
- Other

Finally, roll +Sharp.

10+ Damn, you're sharp! Choose one thing, you've already solved it.
7-9 Choose which things you've gotten involved in. One, you've got an edge on it. One, you've got a bad feeling about, if you picked more than one thing.
Miss, things go looking for you instead.

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
Working on my first set, for a couple players who missed our last session (Chopper and Skinner).  The players who were present learned that NPC Wisher wants to take control of the Ford (the proto-hardhold loosely cun by the Hocus, with the help of his comrade the Gunlugger.)  The Hocus' NPC acolyte/victim/lover Bowdy was shot and is at death's door.  Pierre, NPC member of the Chopper's gang, has been stirring up trouble, and was the one who shot Bowdy.  A couple sessions ago, the Hocus inserted a performance by the Skinner into the Maelstrom.

Dear Goldie,

What a difference a day makes!  First of all, who’s the young pup/mascot/good luck charm of your gang?  Feel free to make up somebody brand new.

That broken arm and bite wounds that Tum-Tum got from the lobos?  Not healing so well.  Pretty septic, as a matter of fact.  He’s delirious, and Mathilda is freaking out.

Word is some hill mutant named Wisher is looking to hire some short-term muscle.  Beaucoup junk to be had.

Guess Ula wasn’t the last of the cannibal cult, because Exit found her body the morning after you shot her, missing one brain.

Roll+hard.  On a 10+, sweet!  Pick 3.  On a 7-9, you pick 2.  On a miss, I’ll pick 1.  Whatever you don’t pick, the alternative is true.  (Of course, if you think any of the alternatives would be more fun than the picks, feel free to choose them.)

•   Carlos, the doc over in Carny, can fix Tum-Tum right up.  Why’s he so happy to help, anyway? Alternative:  Carlos would love to use a scalpel on any one of your guys, but not for operating.  What’s that all about?
•   Wisher things your gang is just what he’s looking for, and wants a meeting.  What made him choose you?  Alternative: Wisher thinks Roarke’s gang is just what he’s looking for.  Why the fuck is Roarke moving in on your turf?
•   Holy shit, someone’s brain got eaten!  Fortunately, it was Pierre.  No great loss.  Who found the body, and where?  Alternative: holy shit, <insert macot’s name here>’s brain got eaten.  The gang is pissed.  Again, who found the body, and where?

XXOO,
The MC

Dear June,
That second set you played at Truth’s party?  That everyone keeps talking about?  You can’t remember a single beat of it.  On minute you were fucking Goldie, then suddenly you were chasing after Mice with Truth and Bowdy.  Everything between is gone.

Roll+weird. (Yeah, I said weird.)  On a 10+, people keep coming up to you, telling you how great you were, how they can still hear your music in their dreams. Spend up to 3 from your playbook’s artful and gracious list during the next session.  On a 7-9, spend 1.  On a miss, I’ll spend 1 for you.  Sometimes fans can be…obsessive.

XXOO,
The MC

Arvid

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
For the Battlebabe turned Angel.

Canaveral
Wow, girl. You're not a troublemaker anymore. You're someone's hero. That makes me so proud!

Things have worked out pretty well after the storm seasons. I mean, you're not rich, but you're learning your trade, and it's not expensive vegetables that makes the best chili, it's eating it in freedom. There's another new side of you too, your weird side. Tell me about that, lie down on this sofa, yes? How long have you been having these dreams?

Okay, back to reality. Roll +Sharp! Yes, Sharp. You're a medical professional now, Dr. Canaveral, ma'm!
10+ Two good things.
7-9 Two good things and one bad thing.
Miss, two good things and two bad things.

Good things:
- Barkers almost done with that idea of yours, he just needs one more thing.
- Your dad grew some, marched up to Rolfball and quit.
- There is this kid who wants to learn everything from you. Bright little one.
- You saved someone's life. Someone we know. Who?
- You did something heroic, but you got some real trouble from it. Pick one of the bad things, or come up with something yourself. Mark experience.
- You came up with this awesome idea, and now you're one barter richer!

Bad things:
- Some kid got something new and scary, and you don't know how to treat it.
- Someone we already know is dying, right now. Who, and why?
- You've been having these dreams about the ruins. You wake up sleepwalking, sometimes.
- Your horse is a retard.
- You messed up somehow. Either you lost a life you shouldn't have, or you saved a life you shouldn't have. Anyway, they're pissed off at you and... oh, here they are! Good luck!

---

I wanted enough bad choices, but went blank when I was writing up them, so finally I just added "Your horse is a retard" for laughs. I got a kick out of it and let it stay - I didn't actually expect (or wanted) Martina to pick it, that would open up the door for some silly fiction. In the end it put a huge grin on her face, so it was totally worth it.