Pre-Release Character Sheets

• 13 Replies
Pre-Release Character Sheets
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:35:38 PM »
What does everyone think about the new character sheets? I think I like them. I kind of liked the landscape layout of the previous versions, but the new ones seem more clear.

noofy

Re: Pre-Release Character Sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:19:57 AM »
I really don't like them as much as the old ones. I much prefer the landscape format with the artwork :(

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:47:41 AM »
I preferred by far the landscape format too, but these are nice anyway.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:05 AM »
I like them, but a few have some of the moves' text pushed into the bottom border. (I suspect some of this will be cleared up in final editing. A specific example would be the Cleric, iirc.)

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
I prefer the new portrait layout. It just seems a little more standard to other rpgs and are a little easier to print out front/back.

Either way though I think the character sheets are very well done in this game. Much better than most any rpg I've read. Also I love how they package them up. The PDF is designed perfectly to do a single print run of front/back for use at the table. 2 sheets of moves to pass around, 1 sheet for each class and 1 sheet each for cleric and wizard spells. I'm guessing someone spent a lot of time moving fonts and layouts around to make it work like that. It feels like one of those things someone spent days on but is invisible enough not to overtly appreciate.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
The character sheets are a beast - there's a LOT of information to impart, and so we've been trying a whole bunch of different formats.  We're pretty happy with these ones, but there's always room for change.  Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

stras

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
I think the new sheets are clean, pretty enough, and present the information in a more usable format.

That said I like the old ones (although i'd reorganize them a bit).

The reason is as follows: the old sheets (like the AW tri-fold playbooks) are unique.  When you fan them out on the table people wandering looking for games lean over and ask 'what is that'?  When you're running games at cons it's probably the best reaction you can have.  Also Emily's art is striking.  It helps inspire, and folks respond to it (I've had folks mention things from the art as backing for what they're doing in-game a few times).

Also I need to post my online sheet-maker.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
I actually really like the trifolds, too - I'd love to see them as an option, but for our non-North-American fans, the kind of paper they require is sort of a disqualifier.  If someone wanted to make trifolds, I would probably love them forever.

stras

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »
What size would you prefer adam? 8 1/2 x 11?

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
8.5 x 11 is the sort of universal standard.  trifolds use 8.5 x 14, which is, as I understand, a much less easy-to-get size.

I told Sage we should just do 11" x 17" character sheets instead.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
It's a shame about the paper size, I really like the trifold sheets too - they really stand out and look cool. I don't supposed there's some way of resizing them so that others can use them too?

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
I never knew the tri-folds were supposed to be 8.5x14, and just printed them with auto-size selected through adobe.  Just had white space at the top/bottom -- which makes considerably more sense now!  Anyway, I still found them readable at that size.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 04:53:31 AM »
I like the new sheets better than the old landscape. Though the space for HP is current and max is pretty but not big enough. I suppose if I used chips it wouldn't matter so much.

And I always found the artwork version way too cluttered and difficult to read. 

Jingo

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 12:57:22 AM »
I liked the character sheet. By character art, are we referring to the character picture? I didn't really like those. Seemed to take away from the generic view of what each player has for their char. I think it's better to provide a place to allow the player to draw/attach their own pic.