Does GM Agenda determine the style of play? Is AW the Right to Dream?

• 38 Replies
Re: Does GM Agenda determine the style of play? Is AW the Right to Dream?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
No thoughts on my last post?

lumpley

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
Oh, well sure, that's "the backdrop for something else" territory. Jumping through the GM's preplanned hoops and my guy's a total badass, sure, yeah.

Chris

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 07:22:17 AM »
Yeah, beating a six year in basketball is fun too, but I'd say it's a debased version of basketball. :) That's fair.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
Oh, well sure, that's "the backdrop for something else" territory. Jumping through the GM's preplanned hoops and my guy's a total badass, sure, yeah.

If Right to Dream and Step On Up are showcases in instances of play, how can there be a "debased" version of a game. You're saying in one breath that the system can only help to develop a particular instance of play, but really the instance of play is what makes it Right to Dream or Step On Up.

Yet, you're also saying it's possible to play "debased" versions of these. Meaning, the system intends for you to play Step On Up, but we're playing Right to Dream instead.

I just don't see how those things are compatible.

If we're all playing to see our characters be badasses, and the GM is ensuring this with victories over mooks and monsters. Isn't that Right to Dream? How can it be debased Step On Up if the system doesn't necessarily have a CA.

@Chris - The basketball analogy doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not talking about setting up a 4E encounter that's too weak.

lumpley

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 10:08:02 AM »
That's not what I meant.

An example of debased Step On Up would be if we're there to play to see who'll win, and the GM lets us win. An example of debased Story Now would be if we're there to create a story, and someone insists that we play out their preconceived story instead.

A preconceived story is a perfectly good backdrop for seeing who'll win, or for whatever else we're there for, except if we're there to create a story instead.

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 10:11:04 AM »
That's not what I meant.

An example of debased Step On Up would be if we're there to play to see who'll win, and the GM lets us win. An example of debased Story Now would be if we're there to create a story, and someone insists that we play out their preconceived story instead.

A preconceived story is a perfectly good backdrop for seeing who'll win, or for whatever else we're there for, except if we're there to create a story instead.

Right. I understand that. But, I'm not talking about an example of players who want to see who'll win. Or, vice versa.

In my previous post I wrote:

"The DM knows this. The players want this. So, it's all a big example of 'We want to be badass. Please make this happen for us.'"

If you used 4E to play like this, wouldn't that be Right to Dream?

lumpley

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
Yes!

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 10:17:20 AM »
Yes!

Ok! Thank you. Lol.

That's what I thought. I think I'm getting it now. That's a big difference of Right to Dream than I originally envisioned.

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
That's what I thought. I think I'm getting it now. That's a big difference of Right to Dream than I originally envisioned.
Agreed, and awesome!