New Class: The Mystic

• 2 Replies
New Class: The Mystic
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
The Cleric's never sat well with me as a class in D&D. Unlike the other three mainline classes, I can't really see how the archetype fits in the genre. Roguelike, anti-heroic adventurers make sense as mercenary warriors, cheerful thieves, and power-hungry wizards, and I can point to plenty of examples of fictional heroes that these classes emulate. But the full-armoured priest of a pagan god, spewing miracles like they were cotton candy? Receiving blessings and communications from their deific master like bonuses and memoes from upper management? All the priestly archetypes I can think of in fiction have much less magical firepower at their fingertips.

Yet in stripping out the class, I definitely feel like there's a gap that should be filled. The Mystic class I've elaborated here started out life the Spiritualist class, inspired by the mediums, psychics, and fortune tellers of gothic fiction. It's a class that derives power from their connection with the spirit world, but not through the same relationship that a priest has with their gods. Along the way, I was strongly inspired by John Harper's WoD wizards; I strongly considered making spirit-binding the default system of magic in my Daojin City Blues game, but decided it made a better match for the Mystic class.

PDF Playbook for levels 2-5
+++THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Ambition knows no bounds.+++

Rogue Trader: Apocalypse

stras

Re: New Class: The Mystic
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
Just for the sake of example/discussion I'll provide the example David Eddings (quality of writing up to your own tastes).  Chock-full of full-plated miracle spewing warrior-priests. (I have a bunch more examples in mind, but I think those are probably the most widely known)

However when 1st ed was coming out most of these archetypes weren't present, and in my opinion it damaged the core class flavor and theme (it's loosely based on the Rosecrucians and the Knights Templar). So I see what you're saying.

That said - I love your sheets. In particular the little hex-wheel you made for stats.

Onto details!

Appearance: Looks great.

Bonds: could use a little punching up and specificity to the class.

Temperament: Earth specifies adherence to a faith but this isn't defined anywhere or even implied.  I wouldn't know how to fulfill this for example.

Starting Moves:
Call Spirits: I recognize the callback to World of Dungeons but there's no statement of move here (what do you roll? Is there any inherent risk?).  Moreover, there is no implication of what can and/or should be used for barter.  Do the spirits whose names you know generally obey? Is it up to a roll?  If this is your core casting mechanic this should be delineated a bit more strongly.

Exorcism: Largely good.  The last line indicates that spirits function on mystic energy, and that venting it empowers people.  So, does stabbing spirits empower people?  Can the Mystic simply ask his spirit allies to do exactly that repeatedly to the group?  It might be better to say that in struggling against the Exorcism it leaves itself open and vulnerable to attack specifically.

Spirit Tongue: Might want to specify how you make contact with the spirits.  There's no spirit sight included in this package.

Chi-healing: Interesting. Did you not choose the standard 1d8 heal for a reason? Also, what is a Breath move?

Equipment: Looks good.  I'd also provide a choice of traveling clothes, or fancy clothes.

Advanced Moves:

Serenity: This is too strong. If you observe moves such as the thieves you want to limit the style of danger you're defying (ex: when attempting to escape and flee without heed to anything else).  I'd recommend attacks on your will, mystic forces, or magic of the spirits maybe?

Spiritual Armor: Again, taking a cue from the warrior - this should be 1-armor.  Although you would want to add some fictional fluff.  "The Spirits protect your body from harm" "The spirits snap at weapons hurtling at you." "You are shielded from mystic forces - take 2-armor against all spells"

Dominion: I like it :) I am the Law against spirits.  Just a reminder that I couldn't discern a set method of detecting/seeing them btw.

Turn Undead: Banish unclean spirits from beyond the grave... (just some fluff would be nice to tie it into the class)

Mystic Warrior/Advisor/Vision Quest: I love it.

Acupuncture: I'd make this increase your Chi-healing to 2d8, and add an advanced move requiring it (Moxibustion) that removes debilities.  Deb's are not fixeable easily, and this is pretty potent early on.  But I like the theme/flavor.

Spirit-friend: I'm guessing this is the wizard's equivalent of 'learn an extra spell'?  The only issue here is that you already can summon any spirit whose name you know, and there is no leveling mechanics for new spirits, meaning you'll probably be pokemon-ing them during play.  This move may be immediate (BOOM two more spirits) but it seems to go counter to the purpose/procedure of the class which is already doing this (IE a wasted advance in the long run, since you could just go hunt down or research the names of the spirits you need).  I don't really have a suggestion here.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 08:35:49 PM by stras »

azato

Re: New Class: The Mystic
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
I am disappointed...I thought this class would allow you to play Van Morrison.