New Class Draft - The Warlock

• 3 Replies
New Class Draft - The Warlock
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:23:57 AM »
I was seized by a bit of inspiration and decided to throw this together.  It's unfinished, obviously, and I'd be curious about what people think about what's here and what it might need:

There are many reasons to seek out power greater than your own.  Some do it for glory, some for wealth, some for vengeance.  When you made the decision, it felt right, like it was the only choice.  Now, the claws of something dark and evil clutching your heart, you feel you might have chosen wrongly. 

A Warlock used to be normal.  Now they're not.  A piece of a dark and terrible power has been placed into their heart, replacing part of their soul.  Many regret their decision, but the contract is made, their fates already sealed.  What remains now is only the question: what will you do about it?

The only way to find out the end of your story is to live it.

Look:
Weary Eyes, Fierce Eyes, Eerie Eyes
No Hair, Short Hair, Beautiful Hair
Travelling Gear, Arcane Gear, Fetish Wear
Well-fed Body, Fit Body, Elegant Body

Stats:
17 (+2), 15 (+1), 13 (+1), 11 (+0), 9 (+0), 8 (-1)
You start with 6 + Con HP
Your base damage die is d6

Starting Moves:
Racial Move:
Elf:  Gain a +1 to Demon Binder and when Ordering demon Hirelings
Human:  Gain a +1 to Black Lord

You Start with These Moves:
Black Lord:  When you call on your patron's power, roll + Cha.  On a 7-9, choose 1.  On a 10-12, choose 2.
*Take 3 Forward on your next roll
*Gain a d4 Damage on your next attack
*Your next attack gains the Messy and Forceful tags
*Gain Armor +2 against the next attack against you
*Heal 1d4 Damage

Your GM chooses one of the following
*You take 1d4 Damage, ignoring armor
*You lose something important to you, such as an possession or memory
*You suffer a debility
*Your patron gains Hold 2 over you, and may spend 1 Hold to give you -1 on a roll.

Fire and Brimstone:
You have been granted power from your patron with which to defend yourself.  You are always considered armed with a Weight 0 weapon:

Choose a description:
Lightning
Fire
Shadow
Telekinesis

Choose a range:
Close
Reach
Near

Choose two enhancements:
*Potent: Add the Forceful tag and +1 Damage
*Vile: Add the Messy tag and +1 Damage
*Subtle: Add the Precise tag, and you may choose to apply the Stun tag
*Versatile: Choose another range

Demon Binder
When you have time and materials, you may call on your knowledge of lore and your patron's power to Recruit demons instead of normal hirelings.  Gain +1 each for:
*Using a rare magical ingredient (+1 per ingredient)
*Taking a debility that lasts as long as the demon is in your service
*If you make a vow, the breaking of which will free the demon (+1 per vow) (No combination will grant you more than +3).  On a 10+, you summon the demon you want.  On a 7-9, you have to take what you can get.   Bound demons are built as City hirelings. 

Advanced Moves:
2-5:
*Terrifying: When you Parley using a threat as your leverage, get +2
*Improved Hellfire and Brimstone: Add an enhancement to your warlock weapon
*Clever Bargaining: When you roll a 10-12 on Black Lord, you may reject your GM's first choice and make him choose again.
*Skilled Binder: When you use Demon Binder, add +1 to your demon's primary skill

6-10:
*Master Bargaining (Must have taken Clever Bargaining): When your roll a 13+ on Black Lord, your GM does not choose one.
*Master Binder (Must have taken Skilled Binder): When you use Demon Binder, add +1 to your demon's secondary skill.

Re: New Class Draft - The Warlock
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
I like it - some of the abilities are pretty powerful, but there are some good drawbacks too to them, which seems rather apt. I'm not sure about the racial ones though - they seem a little "eh, just give them a bonus to one of the moves", like a bit rushed rather than thought out more. I'd prefer to see some different moves like with other classes rather than just a +1 to a current move, I think. Hope that doesn't sound too negative, as I like what you've done with it so far.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 01:11:26 PM »
Thanks!    As for the racial moves, I generally agree.  I like the Elf's, because I like the idea of elves focusing on the demon binding part of being a warlock; due to elves having a history and tradition of magic use.  The Human move was thrown in as a parallel.  My other thought was to give humans a "mutation" similar to the Cleric/Paladin Apotheosis Move, but it would probably need to be less potent and I'm not sure how to approach it.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
That explanation makes sense. It does work nicely in parallel, after all. If I can think of anything else that might work too, I'll let you know.