Custom Moves Compendium

• 37 Replies
Custom Moves Compendium
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:43 PM »
Alright. A little bit of context, and then the custom move. Don't worry about explaining every minute detail - trust that we'll piece it together.

Post your shit.

Re: Custom Moves Compendium
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
Early on in the first session, the characters discover a murder victim. The brainer immediately asks, "Can I read dead people?"

When You Scan The Dead...
You first need to breathe life back into them. Roll +weird.
On a 10+, you breathe life back into them momentarily, and hold 3.
On a 7-9, choose:
  • you breathe life back into them permanently, and hold 3.[/l][l]you breathe some of your life into them temporarily (I get to make a move), and hold 3.
Hold gets spent just like in Deep Brain Scans.
On a 6 or less, your scan fails, but how the resuscitation works or doesn't is up to me.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:13:17 PM »
In our Apocalypse, there are year-round cold snaps followed, inevitably, by grayscaled snowstorms.

When you Open Your Brain during a snowstorm, roll +sharp.
On a 10+, your sight is clear.
On a 7-9, choose 1:
  • you're Snowed In, take -1 until the storm clears.
  • you're Desperately Cold: you must Act Under Fire to avoid lighting everything around you on fire.
  • It's Got Its Claws Into You.
On a miss, the MC chooses one.

And the obvious follow-up move, which is rolled once per session.

When It's Got Its Claws Into You, roll +hard.
On a 10+, it's not the boss of you. Choose 1:
  • you purge it from your brain.
  • you can Ask It A Question, as though you had Opened Your Brain with a 10+.
  • you can Make It Tell You about someone else it has touched, as though you had performed a Deep Brain Scan on them with a 10+.
On a 7-9, choose 1:
  • It Gets Its Claws In Deeper.
  • you temporarily lose the ability to speak intelligibly.
  • you temporarily lose the ability to understand human speech.
  • you wake up several hours later. The MC will tell you where and how.
On a miss, it gets its claws in deeper, and the MC chooses another.

I have a few more but I'll wait until my players encounter them, so they don't feel the need to avoid this thread out of misplaced spoiler-fear.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:19:32 PM by Daniel Wood »

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 06:27:02 AM »
The Oily Chain is a rough-as-fuck bar where deals are made and people with the right skills are found.  It's basically the Mos Eisley cantina.

When you visit The Oily Chain, roll+sharp.  On a 10+, you get both.  On a 7-9, choose 1:
  • You find what you're looking for
  • You don't get caught up in any trouble
On a miss, tough luck.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 03:10:18 PM »
Thought I'd point out, Vx has put up a "hot custom moves" thread of his own. I don't know the procedure in this case, but I thought I'd cross-pollinate.

Noah

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
Oops, never mind.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:03:18 PM by John Harper »

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
I kind of like this thread anyway.  I'm going to post a couple of custom moves here once my players run into them.

lumpley

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:30:50 PM »
Procedure is: it's all good! The more the merrier.

A custom move from this last session of our game:

If you read a person using EOS, after the roll, you can inflict 1-harm on them to make it as though you'd rolled a 10+.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »
This is one I really hope gets some use in our game:

When you shoot up, roll+cool.
On a 10+, take +1 forward on your next roll+weird. You pushed off and took it, no sweat.
On a 7-9, take +1 forward on your next roll+weird, but anything else you do, until you rest for a couple hours, is Acting Under Fire.
On a miss, man, you can't handle your shit. You pass out and wake up who the fuck knows where. Damn, aren't you missing something, too?

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:56:56 AM »
This move definitely added to the chaos and sense of weirdness for my game just finished. The ruined city is a landscape:maze, populated with psychic ratdog packs and weird tribes that nobody quite understands.

When you go into the ruined city looking for something, oll +Weird. On 10+ choose 3, on 7-9 choose 1.
- You find what you wanted
- You get out okay
- You don't suffer harm (this could be accident or ratdog/tribe attack)
- You don't get infected (the infection, by the way, is a thing that gets into the brain and affects how people connect to the psychic maelstrom. It's what made the ratdog packs psychic and the tribes weird).

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
Mike, what happens if you don't suffer harm, you don't get infected, and you don't get out okay?

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
Here's some of mine from our last game:

Monk is the hardholder who guards the east from the crazed bike gangs. He's a nice guy.

When you enter into Monk's presence, roll+cool. On a 10+, nevermind. On a 7-9, you get to mark an improvement if you agree with him and support him. On a miss, you're acting under fire to oppose him or even dislike him.

When you read Monk, roll+weird. You just can't figure him out with normal senses.

When Monk reaches into your soul and silences you, roll+weird. On a 10+, you can feel the presence of his mind but that's all. On a 7-9, pick one. On a miss, pick two.
* You flee
* You take 2 harm (ap)
* Do what you want, but you're acting under fire and if you fail that, Monk can manipulate you psychically

And succumbing to this last move results in the stuff that happened to Hyena in the other thread.

Alyssa is another hardholder, on the other side of the conflict. She collects pretty things.

When you read Alyssa, or use a psychic power on her, roll+cool. On a 10+, you're a smooth operator. On a 7-9, she knows what you did, but go ahead and do it anyway. On a miss, she gets to ask you one question, and you have to answer truthfully.

And finally, Jimenez looks like Danny Trejo with a bigger mustache. He is the most bad-ass dude, but his only special move is this:

If Jimenez is in a fight with another NPC, and no PCs are involved, Jimenez always wins.

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:18 AM »
When Monk reaches into your soul and silences you, roll+weird.

Just one quick question - shouldn't it be something that PC does, not NPC?

Bret

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »
Am I right that there's a food and water or supplies move somewhere? Something like:

At the beginning of a session or whenever supplies might be running out, roll +sharp:

On a 10+, you have enough food and water to make it another day. On a 7-9, you have enough food or water (you pick) to make it until tomorrow, but then you're fucked. Better do something about that.

If not I might use this in a campaign some day to make sure the day-to-day shit gets some notice.
Tupacalypse World

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »
Let's take question-and-answer stuff to another thread, so as to keep this one as clean as possible.