New Playbooks I Want!

• 14 Replies
New Playbooks I Want!
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:10:29 PM »
These are character types that I want to be able to play!

The wild crazy fucker who lives in the wilderness up in the mountains or deep in the burn flats with just a bowie knife and a half-tame cougar/alligator named Gunther.

The weird child who still has some of their innocence but is way too connected to the psychic maelstrom or other strange forces.  Maybe they have mysterious tattoos or blue skin or were formerly part of some mad experiment.  Maybe they are the last child born alive. Their sex move should be that they are no longer a child and have to pick some other character type's sex move.

Who do you want to play that may not have a proper playbook yet?

Re: New Playbooks I Want!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »
I'm just now starting some notes on the Mounted -- a person who keeps an animal as a mount/companion/spirit guide.

Also the Ghost -- a sneaky, slippery, whisperer or secrets. Totally not a brainer.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
I'm working on a Slaver.
I'm unsure if there's solid meat there, or if it's too similar to Operator or Chopper.

DannyK

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
I'm just now starting some notes on the Mounted -- a person who keeps an animal as a mount/companion/spirit guide.

I've been working desultorily on ideas for the K-9, who is not at all a ripoff of Harlan Ellison's "A Boy and his Dog."  A guy sitting by his campfire sharing his last rat-steak with his psychically attuned Doberman, using it as a living weapon to help him Go Aggro, herding people like sheep, he'll work for a hardholder but keep his own counsel.  His sex move is something like, you join his pack temporarily. Kind of close to the mounted idea, but more about the hunt and self-sufficiency.  It's tricky how to handle the dog, it's not just a move like an Angel's ambulance where the MC can blow it up and get another.

Or maybe it is!  It would be totally cool story-fodder for a PC to burn down Hatchet City because someone kicked his dog.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:23:23 PM »

I dunno, a lot of these feel like things you could do with existing playbooks + one or two custom moves. I guess it's just a matter of taste, but I really enjoy putting a serious twist on existing types (I played a lot of WoD back in the day) over inventing a new playbook for what is mostly a shift in colour, not activity/moves.

This isn't intended as some kind of threadcrap; it's just a difference in player preference I've noticed elsewhere as well. I guess I wonder if there are players out there who really want to be playing these types of characters, but feel like they can't because they have a much more set-in-stone idea of the colour for some of the existing classes.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »
Sure, Daniel. Playbooks that are slight variants or optional additional moves for existing character types could also be really interesting.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
I actually played something which was essentially your second idea, Jonathan. Her name was Always, she was a Hocus and based off of the Childlike Empress in The Neverending Story.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »
The wild crazy fucker who lives in the wilderness up in the mountains or deep in the burn flats with just a bowie knife and a half-tame cougar/alligator named Gunther.

The Scrapper/Nomad from the thread "Introducing the Scrapper" might work for this, especially the direction he ended up taking when other people added better ideas than my initial ones :)

Their sex move should be that they are no longer a child and have to pick some other character type's sex move.

This is flippin' brilliant.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
E, yeah I could totally see the Last Child as a Hocus.  I tried to play her as an Angel, I think, with my first AW character, Di, but it wasn't quite right.  Instead I should have made her as a Hocus without followers (not that you can normally do that).

I didn't know about the Scrapper/Nomad.  I'll definitely check that out!

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 03:09:20 PM »
P.S. Joe, I wanna play the Slaver too, so make that happen. Ok thanx.

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:52:11 PM »
P.S. Joe, I wanna play the Slaver too, so make that happen. Ok thanx.

Awesome.

To help the idea coalesce: what makes you want to play this character? What flare do you hope the character contains?

Currently, the concept & vision is like 82% there.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
On the Slaver, my main interest is in seeing another variation on the crew / gang / followers / holding model (and, alongside that, Pack Alpha / Leadership / Frenzy / etc. as a move for using your peeps), since I really like those and would be interested how one would look that was explicitly focused on victimization.

Color wise, I'm remembering this story about a character Tony played in one AW game, where an important female NPC was going to abandon him for being a horrible human being, but he sat her down and said: "It's okay, baby.  It'll all work out; just hang in there" or something like that.  Totally twisted and showed why people stay in bad relationships.  I wasn't there for it but it was on my mind.

Seems like the character type could be pretty open about how and why the Slaver victimizes people -- is it drugs? sex? emotions? physical chains? beatings? they have the only access to food or medicine?  You know how Hedwig keeps all the passports of the Angry Inch band members?  Like that.  Total Slaver.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
When you break someone's will, roll +hard (sharp? Hx?)

10+, choose two
7-9, choose one

- They love you
- They will obey you
- You don't have to hurt them

This is probably too close to home for me to play and enjoy easily, but yeah.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:58:10 PM by Simon C »

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 08:05:43 PM »
Oh man, I'm grossing myself out, but:

When you show someone kindness or sympathy or express remorse, roll +cool

10+, Hold 3
7-9, Hold 1

Spend one hold to:

- Have that person flinch, hesitate, or falter
- Have that person come to your call
- Roll +1 on Seduce or Manipulate against that person

Bret

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 09:25:26 AM »
The Playbook I want to see is DannyK's K-9.
Tupacalypse World