AP: Welcome, New Jerk

• 70 Replies
Re: AP: Welcome, New Jerk
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »
And you also keep confusing Nero and Newton... *grin*

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »
I started writing some kind of introduction to this one, but decided against it. It is what it is.

The sun was setting behind brush-covered hills. A metallic ticking could be heard from Joe´s Girl´s ambulance as the car cooled down, and from the small cook-fire sparks were flying towards the evening sky.
Canaveral leaned forward, turned the spit over to let the surprisingly fat groundhog grill evenly and stirred the bubbling chili. Joe´s Girl returned from the hidden wateringhole with a large plastic canister filled with the brownish water of the californian plains. New Jerk might not have been the most pleasant place to live, but the town was blessed with amazingly clean water. What they had to content with here had a sharp and bitter taste. 
Canaveral made an effort not to dwell on the subject of Daimyos holding. That short time of her life was gone now, new possibilities were surfacing. Actually, one of them was on his way back to the camp from a short walk this very moment, bruised arms full of twigs for the fire. Nero was a whole different man now, somehow. Not as fundamentally changed as Canaveral herself without the gun, the spear, the shining armor, but still different.

It had been four days since the battle between Daimyo´s army and Newton´s on the shores of Sunken City. Wounds were slowly healing (it felt good to have a father again, and a competent medic at that). Survivors from the battle had been spotted. Someone had to gather them up, give them a chance to reach some relative civilization and find out for themselves what they were to do now the war was over. Canaveral knew that her father wanted to help those lost souls, and she heartilly agreed with him.

Nero put down his burden, sat himself down by the fire and poked the embers with a stick. Joe´s Girl handed out bowls filled with the steaming chili. Canaveral started to carve pieces of the grilled groundhog, dishing out long strips of meat. They ate in a more or less comfortable silence. Nail trudged down from the hill where he and Dandelion were keeping watch, picked upp two of the bowls and returned to the sunkie and the game of cards.
A quick glance towards Nero. Canaveral could almost see his longing for the rest of his gang, or at least for Dubs and Topple. James was dead somewhere below the surface of Sunken City, and from what she had understood Fox was unlikely to return to her former employer this time even if she had survived the battle.

Carefully chewing a mouthful of meat and chili Canaveral pondered her own part in the war. Was Newton dead because of her, because she had persuaded him to meet with Daimyo before the battle? She had hoped for the men to see each others strenghts and back down from the unnessecary bloodshed, but she finally felt that she knew the true Daimyo now. Treacherous, self-righteous, bloodthirsty bastard, not one bit better than his mad hyenas. She felt ashamed of herself for believing in the hardholder for too long, but could not dwell on that now. There was a future to take care of, one that hopefully would not include Daimyo.
First step would be to search the surrounding area one more time, gather up the people, horses and supplies that still lay scattered after the battle. After that, they had to choose their new course. She would prefer north, but would probably leave the final desicion to Nero. She hoped Joe´s Girl would join as well, at least for a while. They had things to talk about.

By now, the sun was but a sliver of blood red light in the west. It was getting chilly. Canaveral buttoned the checkered shirt up and rose to get a blanket from the ambulance. The broken ribs smarted as she pushed herself off the ground, but it was the dull pain of a healing injury. The bones would knit back just fine. She was alive, and happy to be.

Somewhere to the east a cackling howl shattered the evening. A reminder that there were things to be done.

Arvid

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »
And you also keep confusing Nero and Newton... *grin*

Fnaaaarg >_< Oh well, it's only the paragraph right after Newton's death where I refer to Nero as Newton, so it's pretty clear I'm refering to Nero.

Your in-game text is great. I thought it was a little cheesy of me to suggest Joe's Girl as Canaverals dad, but as improv tells us: Be obvious! I like how you turned that into something genuine, that I can believe in, in your text.

It was really cool to see Jonatan and Martina spend improvements in that terrible fight: When everything turns desperate, Canaveral (not wearing her armour) unleashes Impossible Reflexes, and Nero becomes Insano Like Drano. It was cool to see what desperate moments did to your characters.

The day after, I was like "Heh heh, an angel, a brainer and an operator, they'll totally suck at siezing by force", but then I discovered that Nero now has +2 Hard. +2!! Now, consider that he is now the leader of a group of vagabonds, dodging Daimyo's goons and doing honest work  instead of organising compound defenses. That fits so well! I can't wait to see the new Nero.

Oh, and I loved your exposé on the maelstrom of Sunken City and Brine! If anyone would like to describe it here it would be grand, because I can't remember the details.

Oh, and Brine, Sunken City and the wording in the MC letter to Canaveral where all heavily influenced from other MC's great ideas. Cheers, guys!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:10:30 AM by Arvid »

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »
Now, consider that he is now the leader of a group of vagabonds, dodging Daimyo's goons and doing honest work  instead of organising compound defenses. That fits so well! I can't wait to see the new Nero.

I don't know if you remember this, but when I'd just chosen the Operator and we were talking about our characters, I said that I was trying to build on the intro on the back of the playbook, the one going "You, all you want is a little freedom. But this is what you got to work with."

I feel like Nero's just discovered, or maybe rediscovered, that that's the thing he cares most about. Doing Daimyo's work was okay, and for a while he was curious to see if the guy was onto something with his kingdom idea, but after last session he remembered why he'd been travelling for so long before he came to New Jerk.

I'm not quite sure yet just how hard he is in his daily life nowadays. If it really is just building barns and helping with the harvest or if he's still taking anything that needs doing, just that he doesn't stay in the same place. I think that depends on how peaceful Canaveral has become. It's clear that she'd rather help people than shoot them herself, but does that extend to the rest of the group too? If it does, Nero's +2 hard is something he's not that proud of, but reveals when shit hits a nearby fan.

On the dodging Daimyo's goons thing, you and Daimyo's former player should probably talk about how much he cares about Nero. I like the obligation gig of avoiding the past, but in the end I think Brine is the one that's actually looking for Nero the most, more than Daimyo and definitely more than Fox. Not that he'd rather bump into any of them, just that it's often enough just staying out of their town with the other two.

Arvid

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 10:35:23 AM »
Jonatan: Yeah, I remember how we talked about both those things! (Finding a little freedom, and staying with Daimyo for a while)

I like that Nero can do hard things, whether or not he likes it, and I probably like it even more if he's avoiding it. It's like, you need all the five stats to survive in Apocalypse World, whether you like it or not. The fact that your character is hard, is the hardest of the group, and maybe tries to avoid it, all sound like interesting dynamics to me.

Hey wow, that's what highlighting is for!

Glenn has made pretty sure that he is expecting Daimyo to be a Threat now, heh heh. Now, I prefer not to show my fronts, I think it can take away the magic to show the magician's nuts and bolts behind the scene, (In line with the books advice: Make your move, but don't call it a move, for chrissakes) and I also would like to play a new session of everyday-platform-building with your new lives before making new fronts...

...but nevertheless, I'm going to tell you right now that I want to make a "Past catching up with you" front. The Kingdom of California is coming together, but Daimyo doesn't want to rule everything - He just wants a piece of the cake and stay safe in his fortress. Who will take what slices of the new California? Who can grab to most power? It's still very much in the air, so power players like Rose, Two Moon, Daimyo, Greentown maybe, are all playing their games, and they wouldn't like anything better than to own you as their pawns.

Moahahahaha!

So, it's not necessarily Daimyos bloodlust that you should fear, but what he represents, something you were involved before, but now threatens your freedom and independence. It's like freaking Firefly. Nero can be Mal, Canaveral can be Dr. Simon Tam, and Sin is going to be River Tam!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:40:12 AM by Arvid »

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Daimyo is not my character anymore, his Arvids toy for now :).

Since I played a bloodthirsty hate machine I will now play a happy open minded person. Where Daimyo were bestial and cold, Sin will will be queer and cuddly!

As I feel right now with Sin I want to play a very, -very- good gal. Using her brainer powers to help people and doesnt really know what she is capable of yet. But the basic point with her is gona be to play you guys up, shes gona be the fangirl of Canevaral and Nero, with goals that I know will make you two cringe and glare at me for! :)

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 05:25:27 AM »
I figure Canaveral is still a cool girl, and still a warrior at heart. She will probably excel at being a combat-medic, and she has always had a soft spot for the down-and-out and the weak.
With the change to Angel she finally can let that "weakness" show, as a Battlebabe she had indifferent eyes, but now those eyes are caring...
So, to answer Jonatans question about how "peaceful" Canaveral has become: She is still prepared to fight for the ones needing her help, and she will not show her throat to the bullies.

I´m really looking forward to the next part of this campaign, this is Neros time to shine! We just have to pick up the pieces of the armies, build a new gang, and start the operating!
Also looking forward to making the acquaintance of Sin!

Arvid

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 05:55:52 AM »
We just have to pick up the pieces of the armies, build a new gang, and start the operating!

Ah, but will Nero have a crew, or contacts, or a combination? I can totally see a network of contacts if you're travelling.

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
Nero will start out with an even smaller crew than hi original one, this time consisting of only Canaveral and a few of the old ones. James is dead and Fox isn't coming, and I'm thinking maybe Nail decides to stay with Two Moon. Dubbs and Topple don't have that much personality yet, but I guess they're both loyal enough to stick with Nero rather than hang around New Jerk. So two of the old ones are gone, and Canny has joined. I don't think I want the crew bigger than that, especially if Sin "officially" joins. At most one new can join (or have joined after the timeskip) before it starts feeling too big.

I am going to start writing down contacts though, now that we're travelling. I can think of Two Moon through Nail in NJ and Joe's Girl wherever he goes. It would also make sense for Nero to have made some new contacts after a one-year time skip.

Martina: if that's the case, then Nero and the others are used to sometimes violent gigs, so they're pretty good at it. I'm thinking helping otherwise helpless villagers to defend themselves from raiders. Maybe even secretly helping against Daimyo's raiders? I don't know, but helping when there's fighting involved appeals more than helping with the harvest.

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 02:53:08 AM »
Of course we should take on the violent gigs as well! I mean, that´s what we´re good at...
I´m thinking caravan guarding, a bit of spying on the bad guys (acting under fire is something both Canaveral and Nero are good at), training the youngsters of towns and holds so that they can take care of themselves when Daimyo comes around, that kind of things.

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »
Nero is Jim Raynor, Daimyo is Mengsk, Canaveral is Kerrigan. Thats a bit of fun, I wonder who Sin will be...

Arvid

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »
Nero is Jim Raynor, Daimyo is Mengsk, Canaveral is Kerrigan. Thats a bit of fun, I wonder who Sin will be...

Brine can be The Overmind.

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
Brine is more like Arcturus. The overmind is to cool to be compared to that robot chick!

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 02:41:17 AM »
Oooooogamesnight tonight!

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »
Yeah, we played last night, and it was great. Here's what happened (apologies if it's too much from Nero's perspective):

We started out about a year after the battle of Sunken City, from which Nero, Canaveral, Joe's Girl and Topple had taken off and kept moving, just getting as far as possible from New Jerk for starters. We meet the PCs in the small village of Crimson, north of the Pit. Here's stuff that's happened in between:
- Canaveral has taken to the role of the Angel, and much of what we've been doing has involved helping people who need protection, healing or both.
- We've kept in the trail of Rolfball for some time, always reaching the places he's just raided, offering our help. Once we actually helped protecting a hold that had barricaded itself in a bunker from him. Around here somewhere Joe's Girl decides to go back to Rolfball - someone has to keep an eye on him, or something.
- We spent some time with Beastie's gang, an unruly lot that we didn't really establish much what they did. We picked up Beasties girl (at the time), Sin the Skinner (played by Daimyo's former player). She's pretty much an adventurer, spreads trouble without really thinking about it, wields a katana and is very hot. Anyway, she came with Nero and Canny when they decided Beastie wasn't their cup of tea.
- We traveled for a bit with a caravan-style nomad people led by Crin. Most notably helped them out of a real spot when crossing a dangerous mountain pass.
- Somewhere in there Topple left us, leaving only the three PCs travelling together. We never decided where he went, but I'd say either home, back to New Jerk (where Nail and Dubbs hang out) or he stayed with Beastie.
- Somewhere we also met Brace again, Newton's right-hand man. He'd gotten away from the battle with, surprisingly, Razor (Daimyo's masseuse and sniper) and was now just a gun-for-hire. Sin had sex with him way back, before he lost his eye, and he still protected her where he could.

So, we've been in Crimson for a few days and things aren't looking good. People are catching this weird strain of something, and Canaveral has tried all her stuffs to no avail. The town elders are putting together a team to go negotiate with the river people. They're wierdos who live downstream and are covered in that filth that floats on the river. However they might know something about the affliction.

That night Sin lures some innocent teenagers out by the river, they don't know if thy should expect a fivesome, for Sin to choose someone or just hanging out drinkin'. She ends up daring the tough guy, Levis, to jump over the river the poles that are to be the foundation for a bridge. It all ends, of course, with one girl falling in the river and being swept away. The mood is somewhat killed and they go back to the inn where Sin does not sleep with Levis, who was expecting to get some.

The next day a small team of the PCs, Levis and a few unnamed villagers set out to meet with the riverfolk. Halfway there we see a man on a raft, who says he'll take us to the leader. However Sin engages in innocent banter resulting in John (that's his name) coming ashore trying too get a kiss. That was Sin's first snake eyes on manipulate, but it wouldn't be her last one this session. Nero and Canny sigh and hopes Sin won't kill him (bad for negotiations) and eventually defuse the situation. John gets the idea that the River has chosen Sin, and that she should come to their place. When we near the collection of rafts that is the riverfolk camp, John says that he'll want Sin hostage if Glendower (the leader) is to come ashore. Sin agrees, and rolls for going aggro to ensure he doesn't touch her. She fails again and he starts blabbering about the River again. Things heat up, Nero's rifle is drawn and both Sin and John end up in the water, which gets into Sin's brain and is generally creepy. John gets her to the raft camp where where Glendower is very interested in what John has brought.

Sin tries to get across that that guy on the riverbank, Nero, is the one who actually wants to see you. Just when Nero tries to get their attention, however, a real downpour starts and they're effectively cutoff since they can't be heard and rifles can't be aimed.

Gledower then unleashes Diesel, the girl who fell in the water last night, who they've kinda converted. She rushes at Sin just to get sliced by a katana. The seize by force roll missed, though, so the katana gets stuck in Diesel's spine, Sin is surrounded and put in a small raft tied to the fleet, with John for company. They start moving the whole fleet downstream, and tell her they're going to the River's temple. Sin gets her sword back by baring some midriff, but is still stuck on a raft without even an oar. She calls for Brace, yelling straight out into the rain but also into the maelstrom.

Nero and Canaveral leaves their gear with the kids in a stranded boat they find, and take off to follow the rafts in the rain. Levis isn't that happy about it, but Canny goes aggro and makes them promise to stay.

Further down the river, the fleet enters a great old dam as the rain clears up. They're headed for the dam, where the riverfolk have made openings into the turbine halls from waterlevel. Atop the dam, however, Brace, Razor and Canaveral (now with extra Bonefeel) await them. They open fire with a sniper rifle and something automated, and the riverfolk respond with arrows. The rope that holds Sin's boat is severed by a well-aimed shot, and John is summarily executed. Sin cuts a log free, gets on it and starts to paddle with her feet. It doesn't go well because a), the maelstrom is in the water and the slime and it's creepy, and b), there's a strong current towards the whirlpool in the middle where water is let out of the dam.

Canaveral sees this and goes down into the structure to try to close the dam. She takes out a slime-head from the river people, but doesn't understand the levers and stuffs so she opens her brain for assistance. And there's Brine. She's like lying under the whole dam, or maybe in the lake, I'm not sure. Canny quickly closes her brain, and instead tries to resurrect the riverguy to help her. She fails her weirdo healing ability and the one who wakes up sin't the guy, it's Brine. Canny begs for help to close the dam and promises to come back to Brine if she does. To all the player's delight, she rolls 10 on that manipulation, meaning she won't have to keep the promise. The dam is closed.

About now is when Nero, tired and stressed out by gunfire, arrives by the side of the lake. How Canny got so far ahead of him he doesn't really know, it just happened. He notices that someone on a raft is preparing a glowing orb of some kind, and fires without getting a closer look. Luckily, it was a plasma grenade, so the end result was that the fleet exploded instead of Brazor. Sin looses grip of her log and is pulled underwater by the weirdness. She finally succeeds with "open your brain" and gets it to release her, at least temporarily. She is pushed towards the shore by a pillar of water, which really impresses those of the riverfolk who happen to be watching. Nero pulls her out of the water (opening his brain to help release the water's grip on her was also involved somehow) and she stays in his embrace for as long as it takes to realise that she's covered in slime! She immediately starts undressing and scrubbing herself, and Nero cannot do anything but watch. As soon as she's done, though, it's time to get away from the arrows. I roll acting under fire, which I've advanced, and roll 14.

Nero snaps out of it, pulls out the katana he was holding for her, and cleaves an arrow mid-flight. He then gets his rifle up, takes out the ones that were shooting their way, sweeps a blanket around Sin and walks away.

Canny, Brace and Razor join them by the lakeside where they round up survivors. The one's who are prepared to denounce the River and come to Crimson are promised help with their wounded. We wrap up and finish the session, with the PCs largely successful for a change.

I write uneven and incoherent session reports, someone else do it next time.