Backstab question

• 4 Replies
Backstab question
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
I searched but didn't see anyone else ask this question -- probably because it's obvious to everyone but me. Backstab reads: 'when you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy... you can choose to deal your damage or roll +DEX.' Does this mean you first Hack and Slash, and on a hit opt out of the damage to roll a backstab attempt?

Re: Backstab question
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
No. It just means you deal your damage. If the enemy is denfenseless or surprised, and you backstab him, you roll 1d8 and deal that damage. OR you can choose to roll+dex and gain extra effects on a hit.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Sick! Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »
Sick! Thanks.

Remember, Hack and Slash is only for when battle is being done.  It's when you and an enemy are trading blows in pitched combat.

When someone is 'Surprised' (i.e. you've just jumped out of the cupboard and stabbed him with his own breadknife) or 'Defenseless (i.e. you've tied him up with his own rope, stuffed him in the cupboard, and are about to stab him with a bread knife), you're not in pitched combat, you're not Hacking and Slashing.  What you ARE is the Fogbottom Strangler, and if you don't leave I will certainly call the police.

Generally, one of two things happen: if it's the sort of situation where you'd get one hit which may or may not be fatal (jumping out of the cupboard), you automatically deal damage.  However, if you're in a situation where this one hit will kill your foe (i.e. you put a crossbow to a guy's head, he's not Jackie Chan, and then you pull the trigger)... well, he's dead.  

This is true for any class...  Backstab just gives you extra options.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:16:09 PM by MrPrim »

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
What you ARE is the Fogbottom Strangler, and if you don't leave I will certainly call the police.

Having a bottom that exudes fog might actually be useful for an assassin... XD

Keep in mind that the same concept that MrPrim mentions and that is at the heart of this conversation also applies equally to the Ranger's 'Called Shot', and maybe some other things.

Here's maybe the core of a "Ghost Faced Killer" compendium class, as per the D&D3.5 prestige class: "When you attack a defenseless or surprised enemy in melee, roll+cha. On a 10+, they die of fright (if, indeed, they can) if they're an NPC; for PCs, use the 7-9 result and take +1-forward against them. On a 7-9, deal your damage to them and they're stunned with fear for a few moments (a half minute at most, maybe). On a miss, you still do your damage, but you find they react much quicker than you expected."

- Alex