Black Lotus?

• 6 Replies

azato

Black Lotus?
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »
Here is my initial run....feel free to chime in...

Phial of black lotus
Inhale - Defy Danger +INT
Character inhaling the powder will suffer significant an horrifying visions. A failing throw will result in madness which will slowly fade. A partial success gains (1) one benefit but with madness or gaining the notice of extra dimensional  being. A full success gains a two benefits without too much after-affect other than being unconscious
  • Gain sprout lore into some mystic area
  • Find a creature roaming the dark pathways..perhaps tie to later summoning spell.
  • +1 forward for the rest of the adventure on magic rolls

noofy

Re: Black Lotus?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:06 PM »
Nice Azato! Stygian, the best!!

But I think 'madness' is too broad a tag. How about 'intoxicated' or 'stoned'.  Mechanically, I'd say you have either the debilities of Stunned or Confused (player's choice).

Also, the options for me are ALL about the narrative potential. Assuming the players are taking the Black Lotus for some story effect other than being comically out-of-it.

When you Inbibe the Black Lotus, roll + INT and become Intoxicated.
On a 10+ choose 2, on a 7-9 Choose 1
* On you next Discern Reality you may ask any question.
* You can Spout Lore about something completely beyond your ken.
* Your next cast spells / Arcane Art / Last Breath is an automatic 10+
* You do not become addicted

On a miss you are also addicted. The GM now has +1 hold on you that you can remove only if you take another dose of Black Lotus.
The GM can spend the hold 1 for 1 to:
* Give you an additional debility (can be healed normally)
* Invoke your move's downside or negative option no matter what you roll.
* Neuter your next Bolster action.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
Noofy-I like the GM hold that you remove by taking more.  Good call!

azato

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:16 AM »
Thanks, Noofy....I think I was unconsciously doing a Lovecraftian take on the substance. I do like the mechanical rework you did.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
Very cool!

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
In fact, it might be the basis for an addict compendium class.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
Here is just a draft inspired by that idea, mease!

- Alex

The Addict
When you've become addicted to a substance (say, for example, Black Lotus), you can take the move "Addicted" when you level up. If you do, add the other moves to your advancement list. For the purposes of this class, the GM's hold over you from an addictive substance is refered to as your "addiction".

Addicted: When you imbibe an addictive substance and the GM already has hold over you from that substance, you may choose not to use up the GM's hold over you. Instead, you may allow him to keep the current hold or even add +1 to addiction (max +3). When you voluntarily increase your addiction, mark XP.

Conditioned: When you imbibe an addictive substance you're addicted to, add your addiction to the roll.

Drunken Master: When you hack and slash while intoxicated, add your addiction to damage dealt.

Haggle: When you buy something you're addicted to, reduce the price in coins by your addiction.