Sláine

• 9 Replies
Sláine
« on: December 18, 2010, 04:40:12 AM »
So, in my crazy can't sleep mind ramblings last night I was thinking about hpw to do a Sláine hack.
So far it's really only playbook ideas:

Warped One
Tribal Warrior
Charioteer
Druid
War Witch
Dwarf
Some kind of Tavern owner or something - kinda like the Maestro 'D
Bard

Not really sure what the equivalent of the psychic maelstrom would be either. I'm not really sure there's enough meat on the bones to make this worthwhile!

Re: Sláine
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 04:44:07 PM »
I read half of one Slaine comic in a comic book store when I was about 12. It made a pretty big impression on me though. It was weird and amoral and violent and confusing. I liked it!

I think it's ripe for an AW hack, especially if you let yourself be guided more by the tone and the scope of the fiction, rather than the nitpicky details of the setting.

I'm imagining a sprawling fantasy world filled with hot, weird, dangerous characters. Over each hill is another kindom ruled by a monstrous tyrant, or filled with alien monsters. Anything can happen. There are no status quos. There's no good, only what good you can carve out for yourself with your sword. There's no peace, only what peace you can buy with blood.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:01:34 PM »
Yesss.
Awesome.

The drune lords, and their destruction of the earth to fuel their magics, could make an excellent Front, or at least a Threat.

I only ever read The Horned God series, and then some two- or three-issue run about Slaine and a drune lord fighting off Norsemen on an airship. Both were really awesome, full of blood and sex and really creative name-calling, and I think they're enough by themselves to demonstrate that the series can totally do Apocalypse World kind of stuff.

I think the psychic maelstrom could very well be the power of the earth. It's going to be more multi-faceted though, since earth-heroes can use it for warp spasms, but it's gotta be the source of divination for druids and witches and so forth.
Having a combat-monger archetype who incorporates Weird (or whatever you use for the equivalent) would be pretty exciting.

Kaiser, what do you think the comic's "holes" are, as far as building a good hack? They've been publishing the comic for 20+ years; you can do it!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »
Kaiser, what do you think the comic's "holes" are, as far as building a good hack? They've been publishing the comic for 20+ years; you can do it!

I'm not really sure what you mean here? Do you mean where are there bits missing in the fiction that can be filled at the table?

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:20:06 AM »
Ah, forgive me - I switched analogies on ya!
You said you were worried if there's enough meat on the bones for this hack. I was basically asking, "What makes you say that?"

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:24 PM »
Oh right! Yeah, well the fiction is very much, Sláine gets into a sticky situation, warps out and kills everything, moves on. There's not really an awful lot of character development for other types of characters. There's the Mongoose D20 and Runequest versions already as well....

But then my other itch that needs scratching is thinking about a SLA Industries hack so I guess pre existing games shouldn't be putting me off!

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:16:24 PM »
When you warp out, roll +weird.

On a hit, choose 2
- One person nearby takes 2X harm
- Everyone nearby takes X harm
- You take 2X harm
On a 10+, X=3. On a 7-9 X=1.

Maybe?

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 04:41:34 PM »
I know this is an ancient thread but the idea is awesome. How about adding to the list of suggested archetypes a 'Dragonrider' or 'Dragonmaster' or something describing someone who has spent many years training a war dragon.
What about an "El-Blooded" playbook?

I was thinking Warp-Spasm would be, On a 10+ you warp out and get the effects of a (3harm/2armor) medium gang. On a 7-9, you are the equivalent of a small gang.

Maybe have a sidebar with the different tribes and their geasas for most playbooks, the way Dungeon World has their Alignment section, to check XP when a geas applies.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:42:44 AM »
What happens on a miss with a Warp Spasm?

Someone should push on with this. Gavinwulf?

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 03:15:53 AM »
I'd wager on a missed Warp-Spasm you give yourself harm or hurt your allies.

I am thinking about pushing on with this but I've been busy re-vamping my Hyborian Age hack. BUT, things I've been working on in that hack can apply to a Slaine one as well. Specifically, the combat system with hack and slash weaponry.