when high stats work against you

• 4 Replies
when high stats work against you
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »
Have any of you used custom moves where high stats were disadvantageous?  For example:

When you meet Circe for the first time, roll +Hot.  On a 10+, she decides to keep you prisoner on her island, permanently.  On a 7-9, she won't let you go until she gets a taste of you.  On a miss, you're free to go.

or...

When you enter Ground Zero, roll +Weird to see if the psychic phantoms are drawn to you.  On a 10+, the MC holds 2.  On a 7-9, the MC holds 1.  On a miss, you have escaped their notice for now.  The MC may spend 1 hold while you are in Ground Zero to cause an accident, inflict ?-harm directly to your character, or have your equipment malfunction.

Re: when high stats work against you
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:22:23 AM »
I think this is actually very clever. I can definitely see myself using a few of these in my next game to throw my players for a loop. :) Thanks for the idea.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
I was playing with a move that isn't exactly that, but it's recasting a negative as a positive (which is also what you're doing):

When you take advantage of the hold's hospitality, roll+numberOfDebilities.  On a hit, they'll feed you for a while.  On a 10+, just about everyone really believes you deserve it.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
The harm move pretty much works that way.

edit: point being there's already some precedent in the rules, so there's no reason something like that couldn't work.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:56:26 AM by pseudoidiot »
-Jeremiah

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:23:39 AM »
I was playing with a move that isn't exactly that, but it's recasting a negative as a positive (which is also what you're doing):

When you take advantage of the hold's hospitality, roll+numberOfDebilities.  On a hit, they'll feed you for a while.  On a 10+, just about everyone really believes you deserve it.

Oh that's really cool.