A big ass name list.

• 21 Replies
A big ass name list.
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
This is a name list I've put together from a couple of different sources.  Some of them are already in the playbooks or rule book somewhere.

I'm not sure how to arrange it to be more useful (random tables or something?)  There are something like 527 names on the list, y'know, in case you're running short.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k8Oeaq_DjK2xMoS4c_YYrw1jUAXBMGsFoHsouPVOSOQ/edit

Re: A big ass name list.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »
Trevis, thanks for posting this.  I ran my first session today and I went prepared with 237 photos of homeless people, punks, weirdos, and other apocalyptic-looking people printed on 220 gram cardstock at wallet size.  On the edge of each photo I wrote a name for that character, most of which I took from your list.  I spread the photo cards out on a coffee table.

Whenever it came time to introduce an NPC I asked my players to choose him or her from the named photos.  They loved it, and eagerly chose people with evocative names and photos.  My job of leaping forward with named, human NPCs was half done for me.  Awesome.  So cheers for the big name list!  It made naming 237 NPCs without tearing out my hair a possible thing.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
I ran my first session today and I went prepared with 237 photos of homeless people, punks, weirdos, and other apocalyptic-looking people printed on 220 gram cardstock at wallet size.  On the edge of each photo I wrote a name for that character, most of which I took from your list.  I spread the photo cards out on a coffee table.

This is bloody brilliant. Did this cost a lot to print or take a long time to prepare? Cause I want to use this.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
It didn't cost much at all, but it took a long time to prepare... maybe six hours total?  I did it over the course of four evenings while watching movies with my wife, though, so it wasn't too painful.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:38:13 PM »
That's awesome. 

You know, my difficulty with that big name list is that it gives me too many options in the moment.  But for prep it wouldn't be bad.

Now I was screwing around with my Apples to Apples Party Box because of this post on Story Games about using the green apple cards as qualities of npcs (which is pretty cool, draw three and see if you don't get a personality.)  And I suddenly realized that red apple cards make a great source for AW names.

Now, you can't always use the whole noun on the card (a lot of them are celebrities and that would get a little too weird for me)  But you can usually pull at least one word off the card and use it for a name.  The advantage to this method is that I don't have to have the brain hiccup of picking a name, rather I can just draw the card and use what comes up.

Now making the character cards like you have done, that's above and beyond and very cool!  I could see doing that.  I don't know about hunting up that many photos, but clearly it can be done.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »
[...]I went prepared with 237 photos of homeless people, punks, weirdos, and other apocalyptic-looking people[...]

Do you happen to still have those photos you could share? I'd love to have something like that, but honestly I'm not even sure where to start looking for good picture.

And great name list, trevis!

-John B.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
Sent you a PM!

Arvid

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
Quote from: trevis
You know, my difficulty with that big name list is that it gives me too many options in the moment.  But for prep it wouldn't be bad.

As you suggested in your op, I think a generator randomising 10-15 names would be great!

Ten of Swords, I too would love to learn more! I've seen this concept mentioned before on these forums, and would like to try it out.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
If you're sending out photo PMs, I'll take one too if you don't mind.

This sounds like an amazing idea.  Thanks for the names too while I'm at it.

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
I, too, would love to learn more about what images you're using / where you got them, and would very much appreciate a PM as well!

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
Yeah I would love the collection of photos as well! It would be super helpful.

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
I would really appreciate a PM too, Ten of Wwords about the photos.  A damn fine idea, you´ve conceived.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »
This is going to be long line in here, but I would really really like to have your pictures trevis! I think you have accidentally created something cool everyone likes to have.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:18 PM »
If anyone cares, I made a simple Google Docs spreadsheet that randomly picks some names off the list. It gives you 5 at a time and all you need to do is hit refresh if you want more.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o8OjOD3jkPbXaUlFPg9b_-_2B__TvoiEctwaHhZBozU/edit#gid=0

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »
So I know I'm asking about something from 4 years ago, but if Ten of Swords (or anyone else) is still around and has that batch of photos, I'd love to see it!