Minimum damage?

• 11 Replies
Minimum damage?
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »
I completely forgot to ask! A week ago our (dumb) heroes were against a 4-armor wizard, and they kept attacking him by normal means (they eventually realized this was not the best strategy).

However it raised a question: if armor is equal to or greater than the damage rolled, there's something like a "minimum 1 damage" rule? I remember something like this, but I can't find anything about it in the pdf. Maybe it was in the red book? Or it's just a refuse from D&D?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:43:24 PM by (not that) adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

stras

Re: Minimum damage?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
No.  But there is a rule that states that magic bypasses armor. Keep that in mind.  Also Dispel Magic, and any fictional positioning (like 'armor' being useless when drowning, being set on fire etc).

Plus a number of weapons and moves give armor piercing (like a rogue backstab).

So if at first you don't succeed ... run away and come back with a different plan.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
No.  But there is a rule that states that magic bypasses armor.
nope. If a spell ignores armor it's expressely stated in its description. Magic Missile does not ignore armor, Fireball does.

stras

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:23:27 PM »
Beta 2.3 Blood and Guts Chapter p164: Add the 'Ignores Armor' tag if the source of the damage is particularly large or if the damage comes from magic or poison.

As with all things in-game it's your call, but that's part of what makes the wizard awesome in my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »
You left the rest of the paragraph out! :) It's just for "other sources of damage", that is damage that comes from neither wizard/cleric spells nor a monster's attack.

stras

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »
Hmm, I see why you'd think that, but it's not how I read it, the previous section talks about class based weapon attacks, then attacks in general.  May need a clarification here (you may be right).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:16:07 PM by stras »

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »
There definitely needs to be a clear thing that says "there is" or "there isn't" when it comes to a minimum damage rule.  I've always played such that there's no minimum damage.  No plinking people to death.

sage

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »
There's no minimum damage.

The ignores armor description should be clearer: only apply ignores armor if the magic really does not care about armor.

A spectral blade that passes through flesh and steel leaving it frozen (and painful) sure ignores armor.

Magic missiles are just projecticles of force, they get slowed down by armor like anything else.

Fire's still going to heat (and squeeze in) through armor, so fireball ignores armor.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
Thanks! Well the clearer the better, right? I ask all these kind of small, silly questions because I'm a diligent playtester and if I find something that seems unclear in the actual play, I post it! ;)

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
Thanks! Well the clearer the better, right? I ask all these kind of small, silly questions because I'm a diligent playtester and if I find something that seems unclear in the actual play, I post it! ;)

This is why we love you.

stras

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 12:58:21 AM »
Rock on guys, thanks for the clarifications. :)

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 06:00:46 PM »

This is why we love you.
Did Sage's marriage awake your emotional side? However, the feeling is mutual.