Can a non-Savvyhead use a Workspace?

• 18 Replies

Chris

Re: Can a non-Savvyhead use a Workspace?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »
"GM fiat" is a bullshit term. (No blame! It just is.) Descriptive improvement isn't subject to GM fiat -- that's just bullshit.

Descriptive improvement is the GM's call, legit and aboveboard, subject to the GM's agenda and principles.

And my only principle is "Michael never gets what he wants". So cool....   :)

But yeah, I hate it, too. That's why I'm not comfortable with it. I hate it being on me as far as people's "improvements". I mean, we're all "roleplayers", right? We'd never ignore the story and just push for improvement, right?

So when someone wants something, it's not my job to make sure he doesn't get it. But it's also not my job to give out shit like Christmas candy, either. The players know that, so they've ALWAYS got a legitimate reason for wanting it. And I hate telling them yes or no.

I'm a robot automaton, Vincent. I NEED clear instructions, preferably in punchcard format. :)

A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

lumpley

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
"Give the players whatever they can justify" isn't one of the principles. I don't care what they can justify, and neither should you. Use the punchcard instructions I've given you, for pity sake!

There's a section in the advanced fuckery chapter about adding moves to players' character sheets, so look there too if you haven't.

Chris

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
Hahahaha. I'll do that. I've been meaning to get around to reading the book.........

:)
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
But yeah, I hate it, too. That's why I'm not comfortable with it. I hate it being on me as far as people's "improvements". I mean, we're all "roleplayers", right? We'd never ignore the story and just push for improvement, right?

So when someone wants something, it's not my job to make sure he doesn't get it. But it's also not my job to give out shit like Christmas candy, either. The players know that, so they've ALWAYS got a legitimate reason for wanting it. And I hate telling them yes or no.

Your job isn't to say "Yes or no." But, you can certainly "make the character's lives not boring" when they go looking for improvement fictionally (and why wouldn't they [me]).

If I say, "Man, I wish Burroughs had a pain wave projector. Is there a Savvyhead around? Nope. Can I build a workspace? What'll that take?" Is that a perfect setup to:

Play to find out what happens
Make the character's lives not boring
Ask provocative questions and build on the answers
Respond with fuckery and intermittent rewards
Be a fan of the player's character
Think offscreen too

And, if they (I) do succeed after overcoming those obstacles, remember: "The way to make a character’s success interesting is to make it consequential. When a character accomplishes something, have all of your NPCs respond."

In sum, don't hand out shit like Christmas candy OR say no. Say, "Yes, but..."