Currency in Apocalypse Worlds

• 20 Replies
Re: Currency in Apocalypse Worlds
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
Peter, that was brilliant - thanks for the link.

lumpley

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
Wow, Peter! Thank you!

Chris

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »
Amazing link.

Our model for barter: Barter is anything liquid (in the economic sense) that you, at this moment, want to exchange for another good.

So: I buy three cans of gas from Beansy (1 barter). I go to the market and use some extra veggies I have to buy a new 9mm. (1 barter). On the sheet, those are the same barter. Commodities are not mechanically tracked. The veggies didn't "exist" until I went to buy the gun. The fact that I bought gas and lost food are cues for the GM to possibly make me buy food later, but that I don't need to buy gas for a while. Simple.
A player of mine playing a gunlugger - "So now that I took infinite knives, I'm setting up a knife store." Me - "....what?" Him - "Yeah, I figure with no overhead, I'm gonna make a pretty nice profit." Me - "......"

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 06:56:28 PM »
Have a new game starting up in a frozen apocalypse.
Barter in trade for anything you can burn, especially oil, candles, wax, long-burning stuff. Working electric heater and generator would be worth a fortune.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 09:13:32 PM »
I must be in a pedantic mood today.  I don't think you can really call things like "food, gasoline, and bullets" a "currency."  A "currency", according to the definition I just looked up is a "medium of exchange."  "Medium" means that it's intermediate, so directly exchanging the shit that people actually want and need doesn't really count.

In Metro 2033 (a video game) there's a neat example of this. The main currency is pre-apocalypse military ammunition. You can use it as ammo (it's more reliable and does more damage), or you can hoard it and trade it for many times more post-war ammo (which is unreliable and does less damage).

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
In the game we've just started, it's S&H Green Stamps.  100 stamps is 1 barter in the hardholds, so a page with 50 stamps on each side is worth 1 barter.

Exactly how this came to pass is yet to be explored.

OMG... I remember them a kid!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:29:13 PM by frozenwatch »