Dwarven fighters?

• 6 Replies

Jeremy

Dwarven fighters?
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »
I find the dwarf racial move for fighters kind of weak.  Anyone else?  I see the value in it, but it's so situational that I have a hard time seeing it come up in play.  Also, it's the only one of the fighter racial moves that doesn't make you better at fighting

Have you had dwarf fighters in your game?  Have they gotten much use out of their racial move?  Have you had anyone actively pass over choosing a dwarf because the move was weak?

A proposed alternative (drawing on the 3.5e/4e notion of dwarven stability):
Dwarf: While you have hold from defend, you are immovable. You can't be pushed, picked up, thrown about, or knocked down.

stras

Re: Dwarven fighters?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
We're having some problems with the elven one.  A girl tried making an elven fighter, but fightery things often require strength even if it's not your primary (including your base moves).

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
Maybe I'm a bit obsessed about this thing, but hey. Dwarves in OD&D had the special ability of detecting traps, pitfalls, sliding doors, new costructions, etc. So:

Dwarf
When you explore a new place or room where you have never been before, ask the GM what's the most interesting, useful and/or dangerous thing made (mainly) of stone, rock or metal here. He will answer the truth.

We're having some problems with the elven one.  A girl tried making an elven fighter, but fightery things often require strength even if it's not your primary (including your base moves).
Well that actually fits the concept that an elven fighter is more dexterous than strong. Just like the halfling fighter.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:47:38 PM by (not that) adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »
What about something like the second wind mechanic from 4e?

Unstoppable: Once per fight, recover d6 hp

stras

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
In our house games we refer to that ability as 'Dwarfing it off'. 

As in: "What are ya? A wee elfie? Dwarf it off lad!"

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:11:34 AM »
Dwarven fighters love two things - fighting and drinking.  Drinking is the thing they can share with others without it killing them.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 03:17:08 AM »
Drinking is the thing they can share with others without it killing them.
you clearly didn't heard about Drakk Goblinslayer.

well I feel like I have to do a serious comment here, so:

Don't understimate moves that change stats of other moves. A Dwarf fighter dumping charisma is basically playing with 5 stats, with Parley on a secondary if not primary stat, all at the price of a fistful of coins for booze. That's strong, and even in Apocalypse World you have these kind of moves.

Look, just imagine a maxed out Dwarven Fighter:

STR 18
DEX 13
CON 18
INT 11
WIS 9
CHA 8

the racial move reads like: as long as you spend coins for booze, take +4 on Parley.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:34:35 AM by (not that) adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.