Read...X?

• 3 Replies

NilsH

Read...X?
« on: June 15, 2011, 03:39:25 AM »
I´m working on a hack called Lovacraft World and I´m thinking about different things you can read.

I have started to work on a Read Information Move and a Read Crime scene move.

(Also thinking about a Read Move that criminals can do to plan a bank robbery- but that´s a different story)

Are these kind of Readings too abstract for AW or why arn´t there already these kinds of readings?

Read Information
When you search the libraries and books looking for information about a person or a group, or something scary or strange: Roll ... Sharp?

10+ ask three questions
7-9 ask one question

• What is it´s the true past?
  • What secrets does this it seem to hide?
  • What is it´s true name?
  • Which other grups/ persons/ places have connections to it?
  • How can I reach/ find it?
  • What seems to be the most disturbing/ dangerous about it?
How about  that?

Read crimescene
When you investigate a crime scene looking for clues roll Sharp(?)

10+ ask three questions
7-9 ask one question

• What things did the perpetrator leave behind?
  • What´s odd about the crime?
  • What´s odd about the victim
  • How can I get more information?
  • What happened here?
  • Who could have seen it happen?

I´m also thinking about a version of Open your head that let´s the Investigator see horrors and possible read and understand horrors, and also read scary books and cast spells.

/ Nils

Re: Read...X?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
So I am decided on my next game, it is AW. Thought...hmm..what other hacks are out there, just so I have an idea. I generally like to look at game hacks before I get started as they usually give me some of the best ideas. Now, in the mean time I have been kicking around a bunch of hacks for Ars Magica, as I like the idea of the game, but every GM I have had really sucked, and that is putting it in a nice way. When I read the rules for it I see a different game than what I guess most others see.

Back to this thread.
This is the one that made me go through the effort of actually making an account. This is would be awesome.

The idea the really got me going? Player homework......
Every session players must do some sort of research about the genre/time period/mythos/etc and try to incorporated it into the play. That is golden ( I realize not entirely what was said, but that is what I heard). 

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
What if exposing yourself to the Mythos (monsters or forbidden texts) gives you access to more advanced versions of the Open Your Head move? Like, you get to ask different questions: ones that are more provocative or dangerous or has increasingly terrible implications.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:02:57 PM by Steve Hickey »

NilsH

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »
Oh, that´s a great idea.

I´m still thinking about what to do with Open your head.

It could be something you are forced to do when meeting Horror (which I don´t like at all), so if you miss you go crazy, get punished etc. I hate Moves that arn´t something the character wants to do and could possible benefit from. Cause it´s not a Character Move- it´s the MC making a Custom move disguised as a character move...

could be a move you make for everything concerning Horror, instead of Go aggro, read Sitch, Manipulate (which could be kinda ok)

or it´s something you do to understand what you see och hear or read, to get accurat information- so the MC describes Horror in disturbing strange terms, and Open your head could give you real information and a clear picture of what´s in front of you. BUT- it would be boring if the MC describes something totaly strange, the players misses the Open your head, and now the character has to interact with something totaly strang. Which contradicts Make Lovecraft World seem real, and it contradicts Tell them what Honesty demands