Bonds

• 5 Replies
Bonds
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
I just re-read the Bonds section the Beta Test V2.3 rules. Now I think, I understand:

If I've written a bond with another character, then we can resolve the bond if we both agree. Then I earn XP for resolving the bond.

If I left blank bonds, I can either fill them at the end of the session or replace them with a bond statement of my choosing? But I don't gain XP for that. Only when I resolve the new bond.

In essence, I can have up to 4 bonds to other characters at a time?

Is that correct?

noofy

Re: Bonds
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:21 PM »
As the character sheet stands - Yup, 4.
We often add more bonds as play develops though, they act like player generated fictional goals. Flags of fictional intent (and rewarded through XP). We have bonds with NPCs, dangers or factions too.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:37:34 AM »
We have bonds with NPCs, dangers or factions too.

This isn't, technically, part of the main rules and is a drift of the intended purpose of Bonds.  That said, if it works for you, hurrah!

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:52 PM »
As the character sheet stands - Yup, 4.
We often add more bonds as play develops though, they act like player generated fictional goals. Flags of fictional intent (and rewarded through XP). We have bonds with NPCs, dangers or factions too.

Having read about 13th Age, but suspecting it's too complicated for me, I wanted to steal their Icons concept by doing something like this--letting the players have bonds with the big iconic figures.

noofy

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »
As Adam says, we're drifting, and it came out our Burning Wheel play, having been used to three beliefs to chase. Its not that hard. Just select a prominent NPC (or Icon) and insert into one of your exsisting bond options, or design one of your own using the playbook suggestions as a guide. Work it for a session, and if it floats your boat, then stick with it and get the XP once resolved, otherwise just lose it and chase some other fictional player flag (the playbooks are full of them!)

noofy

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:36 PM »
Just to give credit where credit is due, I use this custom move from John Harper's Eye of Chaos Hack. Its AWESOME for the story building and faction creation potential. Bond is simply the number of bonds you have with a character.

When you reach out through your circles of contact , tell us what you seek and roll+bond (for an existing contact) or roll+CHA (for a new one). On a 10+, you get what you asked for, describe the scene for us will you? Increase your bond with your contact by +1 and Detail. If you resolve your bond, erase and mark experience.
On a 7-9, choose one:
*You get something, y'know, pretty close...
*You get what you want, but you put yourself in a spot. Incur danger, retribution, cost, or enmity (a new negative bond).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:41:23 PM by noofy »