Bonds and XP

• 5 Replies

azato

Bonds and XP
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
Suppose a PC dies...do all the bonds resolve for the other PCs and they get XP?

Re: Bonds and XP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
I would say no. When a character dies, your bonds with him maybe unresolved. As in: you never got a chance for a proper closure. Happens all the time... :(

But the sections on resolving bonds are a bit unclear anyway. Do I get XP for a bond that simply delete or replace?

noofy

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
I would say its up to the fiction. The player of the dead character may take on the walking dead compendium class for instance, in which case the player is still involved with that bond. Perhaps the player likes to make a new character that is similar to the deceased - a friend, sibling or competitive rival - thus taking on the bonds from the dead character. If the bond involves more than one NPC, perhaps it 'morphs' into a newer, more focused bond on the third party involved

If there is no connection, well then I'd say that the bonds are unresolved but the player has the option of taking on new bonds to replace the defunct ones.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
I agree that it depends on the fiction! In the game I'm starting up, the bard's connection to another player is that he is currently writing a ballad about him. He has stated that the ballad would be most complete if the character died while trying to enact vengeance on a certain demon prince.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 06:31:25 AM »
I think you should follow the rules as normal.

End of the session, you feel like the death of that character resolved the bond, ask his player, and so on.
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

azato

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
I appreciate all the responses. It really does come down to a bond being resolved through the story...not just mechanically scratching off bonds because the character is gone.