World of Conan - Available Now!

• 4 Replies
World of Conan - Available Now!
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:57:26 AM »
Hi all!

It's done! Or at least, it's as done as I can make it at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a chance to playtest it more and then, depending on how much fawning adulation I get for this version, I might make a second edition.

Anyhow, here's the link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1164498/World%20of%20Conan.pdf

Feedback welcome!

Joao

Re: World of Conan - Available Now!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
By Crom, what a nice and sweet hack you've got there. Thanks for sharing!

Its possible for someone to produce some kind of character sheets for it?

For now I just have some questions - just by reading, note - regarding the move "give yourself over to the inexorable urgings of your blood": what does this really mean, and what are you trying to acomplish?

Is there any reason as for why certain character types (e.g. Sorcerer) are better at "giving themselves over" than others (e.g. Barbarian), as it is based in the Weird Stat? What does the  Weird Stat means in this context?

What is the meaning of "in a hit you hold yourself in check"? That means that you control your nature? Or that you let yourself be overcome by it?

What do the bonuses (spending hold) mean fictionally? how to describe it? How is this correlated to having a high weird?

Thanks again for such an inspirational hack.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
Thanks!

I'd love to see some character sheets. I'm a kind of shitty designer myself, or else I would have made some.

Give yourself over: It means "when you do what your instincts tell you to do - whatever that is". "Weird" in this sense means "Unconnected from society", which is why the Barbarian can take that move to roll Thews for it.

To be honest though, I'm not 100% happy with the move as it stands. I think it works itself out in play, but it's not immediately very clear.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:37:58 PM »
Random thought, on reading it:

It might be slightly better phrased if 'giving over' were treated something like reading the situation.  You'd say what your instincts suggest you should do, roll+weird, and on a hit you have bonuses for if you follow that course of action.  It'd be almost identical in function (I think?), but I think it'd be clearer how it applies.

Though, it also seems to me like it would make good sense to move the decision into MC hands: the MC says what your blood urges you to do.  After all, we seem to be talking about an external influence here ... it's about your heritage and your blood, and how that might overrule what you think to be your personal beliefs and desires, right?

The MC would want to ask questions to determine the nature of your blood, of course, much like he asks questions to determine how you interact with the maelstrom.

Also, why are the urgings of your blood more-or-less combat-oriented?  The acting under fire option opens thing up a bit, but it seems like you could easily, say, have a dude who's blood urges him to pander and seduce.  It'd be more broadly applicable to just have 1 hold turn into +1forward, but you had to have deliberately chosen otherwise, I'm thinking.

Is it that the pander/seduce guys actually just have weak blood, and blood is in direct opposition to being all treacherous (read: civilized)?

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
Thanks!

I'd love to see some character sheets. I'm a kind of shitty designer myself, or else I would have made some.

Give yourself over: It means "when you do what your instincts tell you to do - whatever that is". "Weird" in this sense means "Unconnected from society", which is why the Barbarian can take that move to roll Thews for it.

To be honest though, I'm not 100% happy with the move as it stands. I think it works itself out in play, but it's not immediately very clear.

Hey, could you record your sessions and make an audio actual play? I think there should be more actual plays of apocalypse world