Help me prove players wrong about MoW

• 3 Replies
Help me prove players wrong about MoW
« on: June 24, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
Last day got hit pretty hard by people criticizing MoW as compared with nWoD.
Main points were
-ability to make all challenges rolled just by 2 or 3 of 5 stats, and max those
-the overimportance of Cool as Under Fire is catch-all problem stat
-overall lack of any sort of "Willpower roll" versus scary things(and defaulting to "under fire" does not help).

Can you give me any advice? Because, frankly, I came across this things before, and have to say they're...true in at least some points (like +tough guy being able to endure fire with his +tough), I just didn't realize they were this important. I don't like nWoD for having quite bigger list of traits and skills(well, being traditional game), but I don't know how to counteract this problems to help my group not abandon this system.

Re: Help me prove players wrong about MoW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
Yes, players can choose to pick improvements so that they max out all the ratings they usually roll. Hunters are supposed to be awesome, especially once they have that experience.
Can you go into why your group finds this a problem some more? Is it that some characters dominate the spotlight, or they don't feel any challenge, or something else?

If Cool seems most important due to constant act under pressure rolls, you may want to try and use them less. There are plenty of Keeper an threat moves that might be able to be used instead when you think of calling for act under pressure. You might also consider creating a custom move for actions that come up in your game a lot.

Lastly, on the topic of "roll to resist scary." I intentionally did not include this. The hunters are not people who will be shaken by a grotesque corpse or hideous creature from beyond. These are the guys who have seen all that before and keep fighting regardless. That said, a custom move for this possibility would be quite easy to write.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
Having thought about this some more, let me add that Monster of the Week is designed to give a play experience that I wanted out of World of Darkness games (amongst others) and that was never delivered.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
Yep, MotW is the way I prefer to play WoD.
I tend to downplay the morality/humanity tracks and play a more Blade-like, shotguns and trenchcoat kind of game.
I know it is wrong but I liked it, at least until MotW showed up.