Number Appearing playtest and suggestions

• 35 Replies
Re: Number Appearing playtest and suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 05:55:53 PM »
Got some ideas on the Lycanthrope I'll post later, but if you have ideas in the meantime hit me up.

@stras: hit me up with your email address via private message or whatever and I'll send you the playtest.

@Phil: Can send you the updated version at any point. When do you need it to prep for your game?

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 02:23:24 AM »
Friday would be good, thanks. Phil

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 07:56:16 AM »
OK, I think I've made the Lycanthrope work by toning down the base version and adding regeneration to the Compendium Class. I've also gimped the Troll a little more: as the only starting race with regeneration I don't want it overpowered.

Base Lycanthrope version looks like this right now:

All Lycanthropes have these three moves:

o   Animal form: You can change between your normal and animal forms whenever you like, unless you are affected by a bane. In animal form you and your possessions meld into a perfect copy of the animal and you have their innate abilities and weaknesses. You still use your normal stats but some moves may be harder to trigger—a wolf will find it hard to open a door.

If you are affected by a bane you must immediately change to your animal form and stay in it until the bane no longer affects you. A Druid Lycanthrope can only change to other forms when not affected by a bane. Choose three banes:
o   The full moon
o   No moon
o   Less than half hit points
o   Inebriation
o   Anger
o   Fear
o   Passion
o   Close to fire
o   Touch of silver
o   Touch of cold iron
o   Touch of wolfsbane

o   The Moon Gift: When in animal form your bite does damage as Class (range Hand). NPCs you kill with your bite might return as a Lycanthrope not in your control. When a companion takes their last breath and rolls a 7-9, you may offer them your 'gift' of transformation to a Lycanthrope as though you were death itself.

o   Wild Scent: In animal form you can use the Ranger move Hunt and Track using just smell on a trail less than a day ago.

If your animal form is a giant snake or spider, you get this move instead of Wild Scent:

o   Poisoned Bite: Choose a Touch poison. Once per day when you are in animal form you can inflict that poison on someone you successfully bite.

P2

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
Hi guys,

Where can I find this Number Appearing .pdf to play?

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »
Right now you can only get it from me or someone I've shared it with on the undertaking you won't post it publically. Message me with your email and I'll send a link.

(Normally I'm pretty relaxed about sharing, but this is a Kickstarter reward so I want to lock it down a bit. Long-term it will be CC-BY just like Dungeon World.)

P2

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 08:49:53 AM »
Hi,

I've sent you a private message with my e-mail.

Also I'm a kickstarter backer (did it today, early morning), if it's required.

Thanks.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
Second playtest version is out. I think I've got it to everyone who asked for the first version.

If I missed you or you want it send me a private message.

Will be putting together the final version for backers early next week.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
Two quick things:
  • Lycanthrope Lord references the non-existent "Illusion of Control" move.
  • Marauder says "destroy a symbol civilization", assuming it needs an "of" in there.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 09:21:33 AM »
There's no mention of alternate alignments, some of the play books could maybe use them, or is this something you're leaving up to the players and GM?

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »
I ran a session online tonight (2 player) with Roll20 in a Google Hangout. I had decided to run the game with no prep just using the info contained in the Number Appearing pdf.

So, in no particular order, pdf feedback from a very enjoyable (for me at least!) session tonight:

• When rolling randomly for the first section in para 2 of part 1 of the dungeon worksheet, there's lots of "special places" compared to standard dungeon areas. To that end all three of us started to sketch different areas of the dungeon, then went back to rolling.
  • For the second part in step 2, should they be specifically linked?
  • Again in the second part of step 3, should they be linked to the choices in the first part (we were saying no)
  • For a one shot, too much fun can be had designing the dungeon and surrounding areas!
  • A Hairytoe community is listed in part 1, step 2, but no Hairytoe NPCs

Dungeon

Outlying Areas

Typo's:

Page 3 last sentence of second to last para - double this
Small and Sneaky alternative bond - _____ is frightens me
Restless Dead, Mohrg - collection of hanging
Campaign Front: Not Enough For All - Longbeards move into the (what)

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 11:03:33 PM »
Love the maps! But should have warned you not to try the whole Dungeon mapping with a one shot. Final version has some sample maps.

I think I have all these typos now.

If you playtested or offered suggestions and your name is not in Playtest Version 2.0 let me know so I can pass on my thanks in the final. You only have a couple of days to do this.

noofy

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:35 AM »
MB, that's so awesome! Love it, 'Maccas' Haha :)

Hey Krusty, I'll be in Canada when you lads get down to it for the DW release, but I should have numbers appearing by then and I'll run a session with the Canadian crew in August :) I'll get back to you on how it runs, I can't wait!

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 08:32:14 AM »
Sweet. Thanks Noofy.

Was looking forward to seeing that marsupial Druid you were touting, but I'm sure there'll be another time. I'll text you my number so you can call me when you're in town.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 06:34:34 PM »
A Paladin on a mission to "Slay Undead, a great blight on the land" is deep in the Barrowmaze when her party is attacked by a Giant Rattle Snake. Throwing herself in front of her companions her heroic effort allows them to escape, but sadly she succumbs to its coils as the rest of the party flee, two having been poisoned by its bite; a hireling unconscious (dragged by the Wizard), and the Bard stumbling along.

As the badly wounded Snake feels the body of the paladin go limp, the party make it to safety. The Bard snatches the antitoxin offered by the Wizard (downgraded to hireling as Player absent). The Wizard then pours another into the the mouth of the unconscious hireling.

The Paladin meets Death, her mission unfulfilled and an offer is made. "Continue with your quest to bring my Dead home and you shall have a second chance..."

"The air of the Barrowmaze is strong with the magics of Necromancers, they can be easily channelled to bring you back as a Restless Dead".

"Also the poison of the Snake pulses strongly in your blood, it could be used to bring you back, but you would be Changed".

The Paladin desires "revenge for the injustice of life" and vows to serve Death. Her new God weaves the residual energy of the Necromancers...

As the Snake releases it's coils, the eyes of the Draugr Paladin snap open and she quickly dispatches the badly wounded beast...

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
Oh sweet! Is this AP?

Just added Death Knight, because Russ Nicholson is a generous guy who did extra art, which might be a tasty Compendium Class for a Restless Dead Paladin.