Meet the Succubus

• 48 Replies
Meet the Succubus
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:10:46 AM »
Here's a girl who got burned once and hasn't been nice with anybody since then. But hey, tomorrow's another day, right?

This skin is a beta and in "manual" format, because the most advanced tool I can use is LibreOffice. I'd be very happy if anybody gave a look at it and maybe tried it out in one of their games.

Things that I'm most dubious about right now:

- The name list (some of those, like Astaroth, really need to go away; please consider them placeholders)
- The Darkest Self

Thanks for your attention, people!

EDIT: Switched the link from Deposit Files to Google Docs.

EDIT II: Google Docs killed the original format; I restored it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:41:12 AM by Ernesto Pavan »

Re: Meet the Succubus
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
This looks pretty good! I think I'm the most pumped about this Skin of any non-offical ones.

I really think you should include gender-switching as a Move. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus. If you want a mechanical effect, mebbe: You get a different gendered identity with a different name. You have the same Strings on people in both of your identities, but people can only have Strings on one of your identities.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
This looks pretty good! I think I'm the most pumped about this Skin of any non-offical ones.

I'm flattered! I made some modifications following suggestions I received on Google Plus; here's the new link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B98eU24MQ87ueXhJeXoyaWtjRTg (notable edits include the addiction of the addictive move, a partial rewriting of the "summoning" one and a new Darkest Self).

I really think you should include gender-switching as a Move. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus. If you want a mechanical effect, mebbe: You get a different gendered identity with a different name. You have the same Strings on people in both of your identities, but people can only have Strings on one of your identities.

That would be really nice, but I'm avrai it would also require some bookeeping. Also, I don't understan one thing: how comes people feel the same about both your identities (ence your Strings on them), but your identities don't feel the same about them (ence their "differenced" strings)?

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
how comes people feel the same about both your identities (ence your Strings on them), but your identities don't feel the same about them (ence their "differenced" strings)?

It helps to think of Strings as your understanding of/familiarity with the target character: hence, you can manipulate them because you know what motivates them.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:51:51 AM »
In-depth ideas to follow, when I'm more awake, but first contact:

"jailbait" is the best look option ever, and I'm so fucking jealous that I didn't come up with it first.

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »
On a sidenote, I'm seriously thinking about the "gender switch" move. My main concern, now, is to thing a way to make it a bit more relevant, as you can already turn anybody on, independently from your respective genders (and so the game is queer enough already without people switching gender for the sake of it).

EDIT: Hang on a second. People switching gender? I have to make something of this...

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:44:20 AM »
Yeah, I kind of think that move mechanic was kind of poopy now. But I still want that move, consarnit.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
I made a new version of the Skin, making some important changes:

- I adapted the flavor text to reflect what I really perceived was the real concept behind the skin: a character that only manages to have superficial, uncommitted relationships based on dependency instead of respect and love.
- I switched a little help (which really didn't feel like it had a place) with a new move, wet dreams (which feels like it does have a place).
- I tweaked a couple of Look options and edited the "Playing the Succubus" section.

I hope these changes made the skinn funnier to play. Now I think it's ready for playtesting.

New link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B98eU24MQ87ua2tFY3N2TzJnVWM?

EDIT: I noticed some typos in the file. They'll be edited in the next update. Sorry 'bout that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:13:27 PM by Ernesto Pavan »

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »
Looks good!
I'll put it on the table for my second group this saturday. If one of the players select it, I will, of course, give you feedback.

One thing, though. I might want to change the compulsory move so it befits a player who might want to play the skin as a non-supernatural. A simple rename should work for that purpose. I'm thinking "Gifts of lust" or something like it.

Oh, and I LOVE the Darkest Self!

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »
Looks good!
I'll put it on the table for my second group this saturday. If one of the players select it, I will, of course, give you feedback.

That's great! Thank you so much! I hope anybody who selects it, if they do, will have fun.

One thing, though. I might want to change the compulsory move so it befits a player who might want to play the skin as a non-supernatural. A simple rename should work for that purpose. I'm thinking "Gifts of lust" or something like it.

I thought about twisting some wordings to make the Skin "ambiguously supernatural", but in the end I didn't feel it was necessary. After all, there are lots of skin out there which are clearly supernatural in nature.

Oh, and I LOVE the Darkest Self!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:06:22 AM by Ernesto Pavan »

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Does "Dark Powers" mean you mark experience twice for each gift, or is just clarifying that you mark experience once for each gift? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but am I wrong in thinking it could be read as the former?

This is neat!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
Does "Dark Powers" mean you mark experience twice for each gift, or is just clarifying that you mark experience once for each gift? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but am I wrong in thinking it could be read as the former?

You are right, it's to be red as "you mark xp every time someone spends one of your Gifts" (so, if you bestowed 2 on them, you mark 2 xp).

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »
Hang on a second. People switching gender? I have to make something of this...

Just a quick note to say: Jackson Tegu is working on something special, called The Cuckoo. It covers the gender-bending ground pretty well. Stay tuned for that.

Cneph

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 07:16:43 AM »
Some interesting ideas in this skin.  A few name suggestions (from succubi in modern media)- Grace, Morrigan, Catherine.

I'm not familiar with the succubi in teen horror romance media you are trying to reference here and am not quite sure what you are aiming for. I would think the idea would be to keep them coming back, to draw them into your power and to 'corrupt' them? Meaning give them appropriate Conditions I suppose.

Some thoughts- your Gifts as written only work for PCs. (easy fix, NPCs act at advantage).  However, I feel perhaps there should be some price either for the Succubus or the target to pay, or some risk if they renege on the bargain and reject the gift, perhaps. Also, not sure about the auto-success mechanic of the gift. I guess I'd like to see the non- supernatural option. Maybe if the Faustian thing is important, what you can offer as Gifts are Strings and/or Conditions on others?

The Devil is a winner should probably be conditional (see Faerie Contract)- the simple choice being someone who has accepted a gift.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »
Some interesting ideas in this skin.  A few name suggestions (from succubi in modern media)- Grace, Morrigan, Catherine.

That's great! I'll add those immediately ^^

I'm not familiar with the succubi in teen horror romance media you are trying to reference here and am not quite sure what you are aiming for. I would think the idea would be to keep them coming back, to draw them into your power and to 'corrupt' them? Meaning give them appropriate Conditions I suppose.

That would imply a strong moral statement by the game world: "You made a deal with the Succubus, so now you're evil/going to Hell/fucked up, man. Sorry 'bout that." I don't really like the idea; in fact, I love that people can make more or less literal deals with the Devil without any consequence (well, besides becoming more and more dependant from the Devil itself - hence the Strings gained by the Succubus for each gift).

Some thoughts- your Gifts as written only work for PCs. (easy fix, NPCs act at advantage).

That's so true! I'll address that. Thanks!

However, I feel perhaps there should be some price either for the Succubus or the target to pay, or some risk if they renege on the bargain and reject the gift, perhaps.

You should note that Gifts are different in concept from, say, promises made to a Fae. You're not making a bargain with the Succubus: you're buying a heroin fix. Once you get it, you can do whatever you want with it: you already paid the price.

I guess I'd like to see the non- supernatural option.

I don't plan to write one. I don't think it's necessary.

The Devil is a winner should probably be conditional (see Faerie Contract)- the simple choice being someone who has accepted a gift.

I thought about this, but in the end I decided against it. _Faerie contract_ requires a broken promise, that's true, but also offers more options and it'f very different in nature.

[/quote]