LE Brief Intros

• 2 Replies
LE Brief Intros
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:32:30 AM »
This is my first post. Hi all!

I absolutely love the "brief intros" in AW 97-99. I like that they convey the strengths and the weaknesses of each playbook in such a straightforward way.

I also have the LE playbook 6-pack. I think I have a decent sense of what each one is "about", but only vaguely. I was hoping, maybe, those of you who have more experience with them might be able to break these down for me. What kind of "brief intro" would you write for the LE playbooks? What warnings would you give?

Re: LE Brief Intros
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »
Can't remember where I found these, but this should help. All but the Hoarder are explained well in this.

THE FACELESS
Is it true everywhere, always? Was it true in the golden age of legend, when life was kind? For certain it's true here in Apocalypse World: some of us are born and grow up and live without faces. We have things on the fronts of our heads, of course, but they're soft, malleable, expressive, revealing things, they aren't our faces. Our faces would be hard, ungiving, silent and stern, they would be what we are. They would never flinch.

The Faceless keeps going no matter the odds, no matter the punishment. If you want to be an unfeeling, unstoppable juggernaut, then the Faceless is for you.

Warning: Your mask defines you. If you want to be an expressive and likable kinda guy, then the Faceless might not be for you.

THE QUARANTINE
It's possible, when the golden age of legend fell, that no one saw it coming. It's possible that it came upon them unprepared and unsuspecting. Maybe they, like we, were simply fucked.

It's also possible that they knew.

The Quarantine is an elite soldier from before the Apocalypse, trapped in stasis until he was recently thawed. If you want to roll back the curtain, and find out the truth about the golden age and the people living in the current Post Apocalyptia, then the Quarantine is for you.

Warning: As a quarantine you are not a part of this world. You are an outside observer, a stranger, apart from unwashed humanity now living outside the stasis chamber. Fitting in may take some time.

THE TOUCHSTONE
At the earliest reaches of living memory, the world collapsed. Cities raged, burned, or just died in agony, starved, fell silent. The sky howled. Not everyone who remembers it remembers it the same way. People forgot who they were, where they had come from, what they could make.

Now, in this world of filth and blindness, there are a few with new vision. They go among us at war, indomitable and doomed, hoping and fighting for something better.

Touchstones have a vision. A dream. If you want to create or accomplish something great, you could consider a Touchstone.

Warning: A touchstone doesn't have the resources or skills of a hardholder, hocus or savvyhead. You are dependent on getting others to follow along on your dream.

THE MAESTRO D'
In the golden age of legend, there was this guy named Maestro. He was known for dressing up real dap and whever he went, the people had much luxe tune. There was this other guy name Maitre d'. He was known for dressing real dap and whever he went, the people had all the food they could eat and the fanciest of it.

Here in Apocalypse World, those two guys are dead. They died and the fat sizzled off them. They died the same as much-luxe-tune and all-you-can-eat. The maestro d' now, he can't give you what those guys used to could, but fuck it, maybe he can find you a little somethin somethin to take off the edge.

The Maestro D' has his own little establishment, catering to the unwashed masses with drinks, food, sex, or other indulgences. If you want to be the guy who provides the finer things in life, then the Maestro D' is for you.

Warning: you'll have little physical power. All you have is your establishment and your contacts. Interesting relationships is where its at.

Re: LE Brief Intros
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 12:51:52 PM »
Ooh, thank you! This is precisely the sort of thing I was looking for.