Monsterhearts Hacks?

• 4 Replies
Monsterhearts Hacks?
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
I know that standard Apocalypse World and Dungeon World are very open to people hacking their games for their own purposes. I was wondering if Monsterhearts was similarly inclined?

Re: Monsterhearts Hacks?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:30:51 AM »
If you're interested in hacking Monsterhearts, you have my blessing. At one point Joel Shempert was talking about creating an X-Men game called Mutanthearts.

If you're interested in workshopping those ideas here, you may get some responses from me (though I can make no promises).

What do you have in mind?

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
Firstly, cheers for the response!

Well, I'm bouncing around a few ideas (one of which was, in fact, an X-men inspired game, which I think is badass), but the main two going around my head are:

Wolfhearts: A game about young warriors and the tumultuous nature of young friendships (inspired by John Harper's the Wildlings)

and

Steelhearts: A game about samurai falling short of their ideals and the fallout that causes.

Particularly, with both these games, I'm really interested to see if I can get the AW/MH idea of limited or more specific moves to change the way the players view the narrarative in a different light. Wolfheart is about friendship and learning who you can trust and what happens when they trust is broken, while Steelhearts is about being in a vastly different sort of societal enviroment, and about emotional repression.

But damn, Mutanthearts, that's a fantastic name...

EDIT: Also, a Spy hack, I think. The dynamic shifts in power works perfectly for it, as well.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:06:00 PM by That Other Guy »

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:16:38 PM »
So you want to hack an hack? Hackvilicious!

Sorry, I had to say that XD

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
So you want to hack an hack? Hackvilicious!

Sorry, I had to say that XD

I like to think of it like the evolution of music - it's just variations on a theme which lead to different variations on those themes.