Another attempt at a Skin: Hooray for introverts

• 4 Replies
Another attempt at a Skin: Hooray for introverts
« on: May 22, 2012, 02:10:09 AM »
I wanted to take another stab at a Skin after the last attempt fizzled out, with the benefit of actually having played the damn game.

I wanted to make something supporting the more recent trend of what I'd like to call introverted-wish-fulfillment. I think the Hunger Games is an excellent example of this: You have a character that doesn't quite fit in with "the system", and "has trouble making friends", but its okay because the system is terrible and she makes the right friends anywho.

I don't really have a name yet. I was thinking of something like Loner or Hunter, but those are really generic and kind of suck.

ORIGINS

Backwoods, Cynic, native of a different world, survivor of the supernatural, forest creature, nature spirit, cursed legacy

STATS

Cold+1, Hot-1, Volatile+1, Dark-1

MOVES

Get "Private War" for free, and choose 2 others

Private War: There's some reason you can't fit in with the rest of society: social decay, tyrannical goverment, its manipulated by monsters, choose 1. When you are acting against it, carry +1 forward. When you make an impact on it, get 1 XP.

Independent: To get the benefit of spending 1 string on this character, a character would have to spend 2 strings (And spend 4 strings for the benefit of 2, etc.)

Looking in from the outside: When you observe a person in a charged situation, roll+Cold. on a 10+, ask 2, on a 7-9, ask 1.
- How is this person pressured to behave?
- How is this person being influenced?
- What is this person's secret virtue?
- What can I expect from this person?

Badass hunter: You're an expert with the bow, a master of traps, a stealthy and cunning hunter. You get +2 to rolls to Run away, and other people have -2 on rolls to run away from you.

One with Wilderness: You and those you choose to guard are able to thrive comfortably in the Terrifying Wilderness by your resourcefulness. You know how to adapt to its rules, how to get food, water, warmth, and which sounds to not be terrified of. (If someone takes this move, than the MC should throw in a Wilderness in the setting, and make it Terrifying for everyone else. Maybe the Wilderness isn't a natural place. If no options make sense, than this Move shouldn't be taken.)

(Probably 2 more)

DARKEST SELF

You become a self-righteous crusader against an ambiguous enemy. Nothing short of the most extreme methods are considered. You refuse any bargaining. Anyone who refuses to leap to such extremes with you is a traitor and must be dealt with.

SEX MOVE

You get expierience. The other character may remove 2 strings that others have on them, as long as they don't come from you.

Re: Another attempt at a Skin: Hooray for introverts
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 05:38:03 AM »
Sounds more like some extra material for the Chosen than a new skin, to me. Pretty cool.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
Sean,

"Private War" is pretty cool.

"Independent" is a bad move. We shouldn't create moves that scream "don't interact with me, other players." Independent dissuades people from turning on the Hunter, from trying to manipulate them, from leveraging past emotions against them. Boring!

"Looking In" is unreal cool. I'd just shorten the title to "Looking In" though.

"Badass Hunter" is cool, but I'd rename it something else. Perhaps "Hunter and Ranger" or "Far and Wide."

"One With Wilderness" is awesome. You shouldn't mention the stuff about the MC needing to put wilderness in the game in the text of this move. It belongs in the Under Their Skin: The Hunter section that's written specifically for the MC.

Big question: should this Skin be a mod of The Chosen, or should it be a separate Skin? What are the pros and cons of each? Imagine placing some of these moves in The Chosen's repertoire - is it better than creating a separate The Hunter?

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:45:31 PM »
Total agreement on where the "One with the Wilderness" bit belongs.

I dunno about making this an added option to the Chosen! I think I see the Chosen and this-skin-whatever-I-end-up-calling-it as Superman and Batman. Aren't Superman and Batman OBVIOUSLY different? Or more in-genre, there's a Venn diagram, where Katniss would probably fit in pretty okay with their Skin, but J.D. from Heathers would only really fit in this-skin-whatever-I-end-up-calling-it.

Obvious pros with making it a supplement-thingy: It probably needs more work creating thematic distance from Chosen if I don't do it as a supplement, and that would mean I don't have to do more work. Hooray!

Obvious pros with making it its own Skin: I'm completely aware what a Skin should look like and function, as opposed to a supplement. I think some of the moves I wrote are pretty good, and a supplement option would probably see them chosen less often. I think most of the moves for the Chosen are pretty buffy-tastic, and adding this material to them would dilute the essential buffy-ness.

Would this be a better replacement for "Independent": When someone else expresses power over you for the first time, they mark experience, and you get +1  when getting out from under them.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
I guess a big question is that if both Chosen and the Hunter were taken in the same game, would there be a problem with overlap? I totally see them grooving on different niches; the Chosen is about fighting evil creatures, the Hunter is about fighting an evil system. So that's cool.