Can the Thief multiclass?

• 11 Replies
Can the Thief multiclass?
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:19 AM »
Just checking, since the Thief in my game has had a religious experience, actually has a decent Wisdom score, and is wondering about Multiclassing into Cleric, but doesn't have it as an option on the character sheet.

(The Fighter in the same game already took Multiclass so he could get the Thief's Underdog feat, and I know it'll upset the Thief if I don't let him cherry-pick from other classes' best moves.)

Re: Can the Thief multiclass?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »
It's not part of the thief's moves to be able to multiclass. I'm not exactly sure why that's part of the design. Some classes can only take multiclass type moves at 6+. I'm sure they have their reasons.

I'd say give it a shot, let him try it for a bit, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, get rid of it.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
Ah, drat. I've only just spotted that the fighter shouldn't have been able to Multiclass until at least level 6. I'll have to gently bring that up next session.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »
Fighter can multiclass as early as 2nd-level with Multiclass Dabbler. There is ANOTHER multiclass move that is also in the 6-10 range.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:56 AM »
Some classes can take the moves of other classes.  Some do it sooner, some later.  Some more than once!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:23:26 PM »
Follow the fiction! If they do the stuff in the fiction to become a cleric, then they become one. Doesn't have to be on the sheet.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 12:32:06 AM »
And yea did page 160 say unto us all;

"Advancement, like everything else in Dungeon World, is both prescriptive and descriptive. Prescriptive means that when a player changes their character sheet the character changes. Descriptive means that when the character changes the player should change the character sheet to reflect that."

and didst the Thief go into a Fighting Academy For Total Badasses and didst he come out equipped with Moves like unto a Fighter.

etc.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 01:54:57 AM »
Oh, I'm almost certainly going to let him multiclass if he wants to, but I'm curious as to why some classes get the multiclass option and some don't.

D.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 02:23:27 AM »
Some of it was flavour, some of it was what their "niche" already covered.  Some of it was just a case of gut-feeling and playtest feedback.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »
Have you thought about removing the Multiclass option and adding it as a sidebar to the advancement text?  That way its an option but not directly proscribed.

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
We're going to keep it - it's a character option we don't want to force into completely narrative-first terms.  I mean, it's as much an option for players to say "I know Wizardry, now." and then to talk it out with the group to explain how vs. doing it the other way.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 01:12:20 PM »
I meant keep it as an option but not integrated into individual classes.  That way GM and players could decide whether to use it or not.