beta 2.1 questions

• 7 Replies
beta 2.1 questions
« on: April 07, 2012, 04:59:21 AM »
Hello,
thx for the release of beta 2.1. This is getting better everyday !! :)

One quick question:
the crossbow doesn't have the far tag. It's a mistake or a balance choice vs the bow ?

Thx.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:42:29 PM by warzen »

Re: beta 2.1 question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
I figured it would not be needed to open a new topic just to say:

the bard's "unforgettable face" still replaces "a friendly face"! :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:52:52 PM by adam »
Oh, the things we tell ourselves to feel better about the long, dark nights.

Re: beta 2.1 questions
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »
I've added an "s" to "question" in the topic name so that we can put there all our simple questions or comments about v2.1 ;)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
There are still a lot of references to gold, instead of coin (some of them, like "gold and glory" might be intended).
 - Carouse and Supply mention gold.
 - Bard, Fighter, and Thief have gold mentioned in their gear.
 - There's that "what's gold" section in chapter 2.

The bard's It Goes To Eleven mentions music.  Not sure how that fits with converting Arcane Music to Arcane Art.

Page 160, the sidebar quote has a typo "likfe" instead of "life".

Got some things from the change log that don't appear to be in the 2.1 document...

End of Session still says "defeat".

None of the cleric damage spells say "ignores armor", except Harm, which only mentions that the damage you take ignores armor.

The wizard's magic missile does not ignore armor.  Not sure if it's supposed to.

...unless I got an old version of the document, but it does say 2.1 and has a lot of the other changes mentioned.

P2

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:17:34 PM »
Man, am I the only one who dislike the new price lists?

There are some things that don't makes sense to me like why bows and plate are so expensive.

I know that in real life a good long bow take years to be made, and a plate was really expensive, but in Dungeon World, a fictional game it doesn't have to be that way.

In real life sword were very expensive too and most warriors used axes and leather in dark ages. Chainmails were rare and expensive. But we must view it at right age.

In fictional fantasy world, where magic and monster were real and war and battles are common, it doesn't makes sense that a bow costs 10 long swords.

Other thing I don't understand is why shields have weight 2 (chainmails have weight 1), and chainmails give the same protection as leather armor.

I would change it to chainmail protection 2, and shield weight 1 with the akward tag. This way fighters and paladins still could use shield and others would have to train to use it effectively.

These are only some ideas of problems that keep ringing in my head when I read the equippment chapter in beta 2.1

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
I agree with you that the price lists are a bit wonky. We usually prefer to abstract wealth in our games so it isnt that much of an issue but I had the same reaction you did. And it seems that the prices keep going up after every revision.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
The prices are getting more in line with classic D&D, which you youngsters may not remember. :)

Makes it much easier to use treasure lists from all those thousands of D&D modules and dungeons online, which is A-okay in my book.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »
Well I've been playing rpg's since the late 70's so I guess I do know what you mean. I understand the reason behind it. And as Sage said, it really falls on the GM's now to seed appropriate treasure in their adventures so that players can actually afford to buy the things that are in the equipment section. I know my thief is looking to get some more poisons on the black market and my paladin is saving up to get plate mail.