Cleric Stuff

• 9 Replies
Cleric Stuff
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
Devoted Healer - Is this intended or not as yet revised for the change in hit points?

Penitent - Same question as Devoted Healer, more or less. I certainly can't see someone taking this and then not later taking Martyr, but the player should have the option.

Empower Spell - When you Empower a damaging cleric spell and double its effects, do riders like the damage you'd get from Vicious or Martyr get doubled as well?

Re: Cleric Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Devoted Healer - addressed in 2.2.

Penitent - still iffy in my book. This makes no sense past 5th-level. But what if the character doesn't want to take Martyr? This should scale better somehow for those who are Penitent, but not Martyrs.

Empower Spell - I'd love an answer on this. I know it's going to come up.

sage

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
Penitent: Yup, we're looking at it.

Empower Spell: I'm going to make up an answer that I'll add to the moves discussion chapter. So I'll say No, it only doubles the spell, not any added effects from your moves.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Another cleric question:

Bless: Can the cleric cast them on himself or herself? The language implies that this may not be the case and I want to make sure.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
I've played in a few games as a cleric and seen a few other players as clerics and the Bless spell seemed fine to us. It's seems pretty clear that clerics should be able to cast thier spells on themselves. We wouldn't want to nerf the cleric too much more since their damage went down. Plus, I don't think there is anything wrong with clerics casting spells on themselves to buff themselves up...it's a classic trope, especially with battle clerics.

Maybe just make the wording a bit more clear.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:24:58 PM by Superdave »

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
Thanks, but I'm not asking to "nerf" the cleric. The language is ambiguous. I want to know what is intended.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:10 PM »
You're right, it could be more clear.

Maybe it could say, "Your diety smiles on you or an ally in combat".

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
One other thing I always had a question about...

Can a cleric heal himself of the wounds he suffered while defending his allies? It seems to me that he should be able to do this as it is clearly a trope of clerics in fiction calling upon their diety to heal them of their wounds. But the wording of the curing spells says "ally".

Is there a reason that clerics can't heal themselves?

Saxon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
Nothing about how the Bless Spell is written leads me to believe its meant for the targeter to also be the targeted.  Wouldn't it just say "grants...to caster or target" something like that?

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 08:29:44 PM »
I agree, currently as written it says, "your deity smiles on the target in combat."  As the source of the spell seems to be the deity, I can see how a cleric, especially one whose precept is Petition: Personal Victory, would petition his deity for a blessing and thus become the target.

But the wording could be more clear.