[Dogs] Can a woman become steward?

• 10 Replies
[Dogs] Can a woman become steward?
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:38:19 AM »
I can't find the information! Can a woman become steward? Is that a sin?

What if she's a former Dog?

Re: [Dogs] Can a woman become steward?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »
That would be an excellent question to pose to a group of Dogs, through the grumbling of people in the town that aren't happy with a female Steward.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 08:57:39 AM »
But as it applies to the Faith, I mean. There's a specific rule, for example, that says "the husband has Stewardship over the wife," or that, "women are expected to do this." So is there a specific rule within the Faith that says, "men are allowed to be Stewards, but women are not?"

And also, is there: "A female Dog holds a special place, and thus may become Steward," since there's talk in the text about how much more privilege a female Dog gets?

I know it can totally be a plot point, something for the Dogs to agree on and talk about and fight over, but what does the Faith say about it?

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
According to the Book:
If you’re a woman, you can expect prestigious suitors
and far more say in your future than non-Dog women
have
. No suitor can demand that you marry him, for
instance, where most women — even if nobody does
demand them, there’s always somebody who could. The
Prophets and Ancients of the Faith, the seventy old men,
when they want another wife, they always court and
propose to just-finished Dogs, for instance, and you can
turn them down if you want to. Which is a big deal,
actually.
When you do marry, you can expect your husband’s
respect, and if you marry an office-holder, you can expect
to participate in the administration of his office
. You can
expect to be regarded as a spiritual advisor and, if your
inclinations run that way, a theologian in your own right.
If your husband treats you badly, you can expect the Faith
to take your complaints seriously.

In my opinion it isn`t allowed normally and if an ex-Dog woman wants to do anything connected with Faith, she should marry a Steward or get a special permission.

Chroma

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:21:04 PM »
Honestly, since "The Faith" is make-believe (based somewhat on reality), the only way to find the truth of the matter is to actually play it out...  a Dog needs to decide this.

...and I think it could make an AWESOME town!
"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..."
-- Pope Nag, RPG.net - UNKNOWN ARMIES

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
It's the town I'm making for a con game, and ultimately the Dogs will decide and all that, but I needed to know what the Faith actually said about the matter. Even if it's make-believe, it's a make-believe thing that's at the heart of the make-believe game we're all going to be playing! So I wanted to make sure I had that right.

Thanks guys.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:23 PM »
Keith, look also at Women's vs. Men's Roles (p. 102) - men are expected to work, while women are expected to do everything with home&children. The setting is very patriarchal - so you could easily asume it is not allowed normally for a woman to be a Steward (as it is in LDS)

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »
When I ran a one-shot at Fear the Con, the Dogs decided that a woman could not be a steward, no matter how good she seemed to be for the town.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »
Isn't the Faith whatever your particular Dogs say it is?

noclue

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
It's the town I'm making for a con game, and ultimately the Dogs will decide and all that, but I needed to know what the Faith actually said about the matter. Even if it's make-believe, it's a make-believe thing that's at the heart of the make-believe game we're all going to be playing! So I wanted to make sure I had that right.

Thanks guys.

I think it's usually better to just start with the premise you want to see. There's a town with a women steward. Fact. NPCs have different feelings about that. fact. Now go through those NPCs and develop pride, injustice.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER

noclue

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:24:48 PM »
Its cool to let the NPC's reactions to a fact lead them on the path to hate and murder, but let the Dogs argue about the right or wrong of of the thing itself.
James R.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
     --HERBERT SPENCER